Firmware / Web editor beta testing

Yes, I think the group component does clear itself (the original graphics) when it is updated / repainted. A page switch will force that. I worked recently on the transparency handling, I assume that’s where it comes from. Prior to the a10 the group text had a black background and the issue was hidden. Will fix it.

1 Like

okay then, I have some presets where I can test that

1 Like

It’s not a long touch issue, as I’m almost exclusively working in the setting:

But when changing the control set by touch more often than not the underlying values are changed with the short touch. That cannot be intended behaviour (and it isn’t there in FW 2X).

Apart from this (which I believe to be a bug), I would be in favour of a third option, which is somewhere in the middlde between Touch switching control sets or not. I belive there might be value for a setting where indeed Touch switches control sets, except when the touch happens on a pad. In that case, the pad should be triggered or switched but the control set should keep its original focus.

Updated to beta …10 in order to test the setName function.

I noticed a constant stream of messages shown in the log viewer, which does not appear on Midi-Ox that is listening in. ANyways, I’m currently working on a reduced set of instruments, which are on MIDI channels 1, 3 and 15, but none on 9.

When I then uploaded the changed Pulse 2 preset into the E1, Google Chrome froze, as well as the E1.
I could only resolve this freeze by rebooting both devices.

When starting back up again, my E1 seems to be completely empty, :unamused:

Only, it is not.
When reverting back to FW2.2 the preset slots view on the Controller page of the website was still not showing any content, but the presets where kept. Only after dis- en reconnecting the E1 to the PC, the preset slots reappeared on the website.

All presets are okay, but that Pulse2 preset was essentially empty.

Hi @martin , i did try the beta firmware for my custom studio preset work (1,700 Lua lines) and it just crashes-hangs on load. I did remove all the code, to try to debug, and still crashes-hangs when I press a button.

The console does not log any error.

I have no problem rewriting the calls to the new embedded functions, but the fact that it crashes without lua code, is what intrigues me.

2 Likes

Hi @Kaltar, it is still beta version :slight_smile: There have been issues reported and I still need to work on them. It would be extremely handy for me to have access to your preset to see what is happening there. Would you share it with me?

1 Like

@martin Shared! Check your email.

2 Likes

Did some additional testing on FW 10.

• After update from regular to beta version t, the E1 updated and the synth got stuck on ‘Rebooting’ message. I had to restart the PC (Shutting down Chrome wasn’t enough’)
  • I pressed the lower right button , and then simultaeously the middle richt button, whoch gave me a nice presets overview screen in the lower screen half. AT that point the E1 froze. After restarting the E1, it worked, and gave me this

The next remarks are when create a new preset, based on an clone.

• We cannot yet categorize a preset.
  • This is the preset I’m trying out (I’ll leave it like it is, but will start its name with ‘beta’)
    Electra One App
  • After trying several program changes (lower right button on the performance page), the E1 hangs. Perhaps the following error is causing this:
  • I restarted the E1. This time the e1 froze immediately on touching the ‘+1’ pad (lower right on performance page). This is the last entry in the log viewer:

I reverted back to FW 2.2

• The update went okay
  • The preset did not freeze anymore
  • Below is the expected output from the log viewer when engaging the ‘+1’ pad (lower right on performance page) several times:
1 Like

3.0-a.11 is available on beta.

Changes:

• Snapshots are supported. The Snapshot window can be revealed by pressing the middle-right button. When the Snapshots window is active, the banks can be shown by pressing bottom-right. window can be closed by middle-right. And top-right changes the mode of operation (load, save, remove)
  • Preset uploads now come with an animation
  • Electra gives info when it is switched to the Update mode (when activated by the web app or electra one console). It helped me to discover some odd stuff when updating from the browser.
  • Some visual improvements were made
  • Envelopes do not use touch to change values - to make @NewIgnis happier :slight_smile:
  • presets and snapshots can be recalled/switched with MIDI bank selects and program changes
  • lua initialization bug has been fixed (@jhh can you retest your “value now shown” issue?)

@NewIgnis - Loaded the “beta PULSE NewIgnis V0.1” several times and used it. Seemed to work fine. Can you give it a try again?

They are MIDI clock messages. These are filtered out in 2.2. I will do the same in 3.0.

@Kaltar - I have not received your preset. Have you sent it to me?

3 Likes

:exploding_head::blush::+1::+1::+1:
Awesome for automating synths with no proper storage

4 Likes

@martin sent it to your email on june 30.
check your spam.

1 Like

OK, I have that now.Thanks!

Will do later this week when I have access to my E1 again :wink:

2 Likes

Testing FW xx 11.

Again, the update get stock on the ‘Rebooting’ message.

I had to reboot PC and E1 and disconnect/Reconnect the E1 to get it working.

Snapshots are supported. The Snapshot window can be revealed by pressing the middle-right button. When the Snapshots window is active, the banks can be shown by pressing bottom-right. window can be closed by middle-right. And top-right changes the mode of operation (load, save, remove)

• How can we change to another preset on the E1 itself?
  • Changing the preset via the web browser works, unless you are on the Snapshots pages. When you change the preset via the web browser while the E1 is on a Snapshots page, the E1 freezes, and needs to be rebooted.
  • Preset uploads now come with an animation

Animation works

• Some visual improvements were made
  • I love the envelope visuals :slight_smile:

• However the E1 froze the first time when I change pages in the preset via the right-lower button. After rebooting the E1 it worked. I could not replicate (see also *)

Envelopes do not use touch to change values - to make @NewIgnis happier

I’m much happier now ! No unintentional values changes anymore, and still it is intuitive go swipe when you want to tweak! (But I would be even happier if you could foresee a third option where touching a pad in a non active section would still activate pad as it does now but not change the section focus)

@NewIgnis - Loaded the “beta PULSE NewIgnis V0.1” several times and used it. Seemed to work fine. Can you give it a try again?

• the good news: it doesn’t freeze up anymore
  • yet, when I attempt to change page, that option is not always working, I once got stuck after one attempt, once after 3 attempts, once after 20 . Probably the same issue as above (*)
  • on page 1, the overlay for the three ‘Semitones’ controls is not yet correct. The text ‘-4 octaves’ should appear on value -48, not on value 0.
  • presets and snapshots can be recalled/switched with MIDI bank selects and program changes

I tried this without success. I wasn’t able to set the bank though on the controller, only program change. Should I be on a particular LSB and MSB bank (I’m testing from a Mopho on bank 2)?

2 Likes

I will test that on a windows computer. I do not get anything like that on Mac OS X.

When you have this on your computer screen, does electra’s screen read this:

press and hold bottom-right button and press the middle-right. That will display an overview of presets and banks.

I am unable to replicate that. I can switch presets while on the snapshots page no problem.

I know :slight_smile:

It must be done on the CTRL port. The bank select uses the coarse setting only. ie. just CC 0. CC 0 0 selects the preset bank, CC 0 1 to CC 0 12 select snapshot banks. Subsequent program change can will change electra preset (when bank 0 is selected) or a snapshot (bank 1 through 12 is selected).

The freezes you are experiencing are strange. There is something glitchy that gets triggered in your setup. I have not experienced a freeze for about a week. Do you have any constant MIDI traffic running through Electra when you work with it? I will finish todays release and then I will make a bigger test on windows to see what is happening there.

Anyways, thanks all your testing Ignace!

2 Likes

:grin: :+1: . Me to ! :grin:

3 Likes

I can confirm this is now fixed, thanks!

However, some new bugs appeared… :frowning:

1. The Ableton remote script changes group labels when switching selected tracks. These groups labels are shown above the first row (ie in the 1st control set). The buttons to change selected tracks are on the lowest row, ie the 3rd control set. So to change selected tracks, I typically first select the 3rd control set (lower left button) and then press “< PREV TRACKS” or “> NEXT TRACKS”. Sine the latest update, this changes all controls correctly EXCEPT the group labels above the top row. These stay as they were and only get updated when I switch back to the 1st control set (ie press the top left button), or when switching to another page and back.

2. Occasionally (hard to reproduce) I see a completely garbled display as the main page for the Ableton mixer, like this: (P.S.: this is not a new bug, I’ve seen this occasionally before)

1 Like

3.0-a.12 is available on beta.

another round of clean ups and making sure that 3.0 is fully backwards compatible with 2.2. I have not had a chance to do much testing on Windows yet. I did, however, worked a lot with @jhh’s Ableton remote script.

I knew about this one but had hard time to reproduce it. I was able to do that this week and the issue should be fixed.

Fixed

Fixed

Unable to reproduce any of these. @NewIgnis. I will send you the firmware file so that you will be able to flash it with Electra One Console. I would like to be sure the problems are not caused by having a broken firmware image uploaded to the controller.

Fixed

Fixed

ok, some of the new stuff…

Electra now (temporarily) sends Preset Swicthed notification on all ports. I have done it to all @jhh’s Ableton remote script to fully work without the MidiPipe. The issue is there with the situation when user changes the preset on the controller. In such situation Electra sent the notification on the CTRL port (as it is not response to any sysex call on some known port). The Mixer controller of the remote scripts relies on knowing the bankNumber / slot of the Mixer preset. The temp fix resolves that but we should find better solution.

The remote script seems to work perfectly. I just noticed some exceptions:

1. When preset is uploaded by the remote script, it waits for the ACK. It does not see the ACK coming in, even though I can see in the Midi Monitor that Electra sent one. This is not a real issue. Preset is uploaded and it works.

2. When I have Live running and I connect Electra to the computer, the Mixer controls are not always synced. eg. the track names stay with “TRACK X…” names. When I subsequently press CMD+N to open a new set, everything gets in sync.

3. I am not sure if this is intended or not implemented yet. When I remove a track, the Mixer controls are not updated. If I add a new track, it gets updated immediately. It would be

Thanks

Indeed. However, something else goes wrong now: for some reason when switching presets with the top right button from the effect to the mixer preset, the first group label (“Track X”) is not updated on the Main page (and also doesn’t magically get updated after switching pages). It does get updated when loading an empty Ableton live set (so that the mixer preset is visible straight away)

Thanks, that indeed works. However, this introduced a new bug :wink: When switching presets, the E1 now also sends out the defualt values for the controls in the preset over the MIDI channel. This causes the values in the Ableton Live set (for either the mixer or the currently selected device) to be reset.

P.S.: the issues you see with the Ableton remote script are due to the fact that I haven’t pushed any updates to GitHub, to maintain compatibility with the (stable) version 2.2 of the E1 firmware. Given that 3.0 will soon be official I will now push an update with all the latest changes. Please test with that and tell me if anything seems wrong.

1 Like

It is intended to be a feature :slight_smile: Users asked for it. I just still need to make it optional. The idea is to transmit all parameter values when presets is loaded. Thus, taking the devices to the “known state” and having Electra be the master.

1 Like