Odd sysex behaviour

I’m sure it’s purely ignorance on my part but I’ve had my nose in the Roland V Synth sysex manual all day figuring out how it all works. To save time I made a ‘template’ fader containing hex 41 10 00 53 12 , the string common to all V synth sysex, so I could then type in the rest of the address like 10 00 04 00 or whatever followed by the variables and the checksum for whatever function I was aiming for. However what I found was that these ‘child’ faders all derived from the original parent template fader were inexorably linked somehow, made each other move on the E1 screen and prevented access independently to the V synth functions whereas if I created all faders from scratch and typed in exactly the same hex strings I could control the V synth functions independently just as you would expect.

There’s probably a good reason for this behaviour so what’s going on here?

Thanks.

they all have the same parameter number?

Screenshot 2023-06-11 144251

Hey OGG.

You have rescued me again. The parameter function appears to have no effect on the transmitted sysex so am I to assume this is just an identity marker for the fader? Or is there some deeper meaning?

Thanks.

depends on what you’re doing with all the info. The parameter number is a direct mapping into the parameterMap with is the main structure used for storing and send and maintaining data to and from a device.

You can ignore it, you can abuse its use, or you can use it to cut down on all the data maintenance and saving you might do manually otherwise. Take a read through the docs about the parametermap and looka t some of the examples.

My guess is that as you go farther down the road of preset development, you’ll likely realize your life might be easier if you used the parameterMap (but maybe not).

Thanks, I see that in the section regarding LUA, not there yet!