First impressions

So I was lucky enough to find a virtually new Electra One on Ebay and love it even after just trying out a few things over the weekend. I wanted to give my first impressions and potential improvements. I work as a user experience designer and designed a bunch of user interfaces for different software we are working on that has a lot of similarities to the Electra One interface (but is just in software).

The Editor:

1. The keyboard shortcuts are great, but it would be nice to be able to change multiple controls at once when Shift selecting. At least it would be nice to be able to change the color in bulk.

2. Duplicating a page would be nice

The interface:

1. I would love to see a visual difference between a toggle and trigger button. For the toggle it would be nice if it was like a little slide that goes left and right. If you turn the knob there is some “resistance” till you hit the mid point and then it flicks over. It would be easier to tell that it is a toggle.

2. Would love it if we could have text not just in ALL CAPS. Text in all caps is actually much harder to read at a glance, so it is usually not advised to use it in user interfaces. If we could have the choice you could still keep it the old way, but for those that want can have it lower or Camel Case as well.

3. Seems like sometimes there is the need to enter a name on device. Would be great if Snapshots for example could be named and it just pops up a touch keyboard on the touch screen.

General:

1. Since we use it a lot, would be great if Electra One could support RCP (RabbitControl · GitHub). But I guess it would need network support then, so probably not physically possible with the current hardware. Maybe a MkII could include a network port and support OSC, DMX, ArtNet, etc.

2. Since the knobs are already touch sensitive, would be great if long-pressing a knob would do the same as long pressing on the touch screen and bring up the bigger control or show the dropdown list.

3. Would love to use my Stream Deck with the Electra One. Maybe to switch the pages or call snapshots. Potentially this is already possible.

4. Since the screen does not have a great viewing angle, I actually find the Electra One really needs a stand if used on a desk. I am currently using a Satechi iPad stand and it works almost perfectly, especially since it is spot on the same color. The bottom lip of the stand is not perfect though, as it should ideally be flat and the flat part it rests on would need to be a little bit bigger.

Would be great to see a dedicated stand as an accessory.

I hope some of the points are helpful. So far I absolutely love the Electra One. @martin you did an incredible job on it and as a fellow designer and coder I draw my hat deeply to you, sir :smiley:

6 Likes

Would love to use my Stream Deck with the Electra One. Maybe to switch the pages or call snapshots. Potentially this is already possible.

I tried to switch pages with mine but no luck.
Seems like some users successfully do that ,sending PC or CC to the E1, but i didn’t manage to do it with my stream deck. Still The E1 receives the messages with the trevliga streamdeck midi plugin :partying_face:
Here is my post .No answer yet .

2 Likes