An in-depth YouTube video on the Electra One

Hi all,

Though most people on this forum here will know enough about the Electra One already, I figured it worth making a showcase/review of sorts for people who don’t.

Hopefully this video helps people who are interested in the device get a simple rundown of how it works, as well as a look behind the curtain, so to speak,

Electra One Mk ii video

My channel is very small, though I do film making of various kinds for a living so I’ve tried to use all the skills and make it look as nice as possible!

14 Likes

Hello! I watched your review, and it provides a really in-depth analysis of the device, along with an interesting share of your experiences within your development environment.

While I agree with some of your points, my experience and feelings about this device differ. I primarily use the Electra One for creating CC knobs to control parameters in Ableton. Even though this is a “simplified” experience compared to what the Electra can fully accomplish, it provides a joyful and straightforward experience, especially when compared to other brands’ devices. Having tested many of them, I can confidently say that, for me, it offers the best experience I’ve had with autonomous MIDI device controllers (with real knobs!! :star_struck:) .

I own Launchpads, Push 2, BCF2000, Midi Fighters Twisters, Streamdeck,ipad etc. My best combination is Electra One and Streamdecks. The Electra One is even easier for creating CC templates than the Streamdeck. Creating MIDI buttons on the Streamdeck with the wonderful Trevliga plugin can be quite time-consuming, especially since you cannot work on multiple icons simultaneously.

On the Electra, you can edit/select multiple knobs/faders, modify them, copy/paste them, and change colors, which saves a lot of time. The web interface is excellently designed, allowing you to create simple templates quickly. I find the E1 web editor to be intuitive and easy to use. Additionally, if I need to delve deeper, I can! Using some simple Lua code is very straightforward, and there are plenty of examples available thanks to the community and Martin.

I do not believe this device is for a niche market; in my opinion, it is the most user-friendly interface for creating knobs and assigning CCs, outperforming other products. There are very few options for an autonomous MIDI controller with a large touchscreen, and the Electra One stands out. If you want or need to dive deep, you can. Personally, I have not explored all the depths of this device and yet, I am thrilled with the “simple” yet powerful functionalities I have achieved with the Electra One. I believe I will never need to go beyond what the editor offers in its simplest form, which already surpasses other gear by a significant margin.

5 Likes

Tips: For changing pages on the Electra One, I use the Streamdeck. I send Program Changes (PC) to the Electra One from the Streamdeck, keeping both devices synchronized with the device I control in Ableton. It is really handy to work with both devices together.

The ability to change pages with external MIDI Program Changes (or Control Changes) is unique to the Electra One.Never saw that on other external midi controllers
This incredible device is designed to evolve alongside other midi devices and be part of an ecosystem. This is rarely the case with other devices, which are typically designed to be used as standalone units(Or proprietary ecosystem gears like SSL controllers).

I can’t imagine how incredible the Electra One will be once it has the ability to control its screen parameters with external gear. :crazy_face::dizzy_face::star_struck::orange_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

And the pixels graphic editor :orange_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

You can control the Electra preset knobs by assigning the attached USB controllers cc to control whatever the E1 controls, and it will update accordingly (effectively keeping synchronization between it and whatever device under control)

1 Like

Hello ! Yes you are right . But what I was talking about is not to control the current CC controlled ( or , yes , indirectly) by a slot visible on a the page but the object slot itself of the E1 by an external controller CC .:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: . Natively . Like on this thread : Control of the controller
Then we could use external gears to control current parameters on the screen :partying_face:

1 Like

It is brilliant. Thank you!

PS: coincidence is bringing me the pss 580. I am actually quite curious :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this is included in the upcoming v3.7 as well as an option to configure the hardware buttons that @Hardingmal mentions in his video.

7 Likes

Do you mean we will get the option to configure the hardware buttons to any function we like?

1 Like

It was a terrific video and really informative and it was helpful to me. I would love to see more people share video tutorials in particular on the use of sysex including lua code walkthroughs. It would be really informative to see proficient users actually explaining their process. As a new user I’m finding digging through other peoples presets is a solid way to learn but videos such as yours can go a long way in helping new users advance much faster. many thanks

5 Likes

It is brilliant. Thank you!
PS: coincidence is bringing me the pss 580. I am actually quite curious :slight_smile:

Many thanks!

Ah the PSS580 is pretty much identical to the 480 internally, so the current patch should work perfectly, unless there’s some (very Yamaha) hidden madness going on…

If you get a chance to try it out and it works lemme know and I’ll be sure to edit the description to confirm, it’s an underrated synth I think, 2OP is a cool sound

this is included in the upcoming v3.7 as well as an option to configure the hardware buttons that @Hardingmal mentions in his video.

That’s ace! Development here is so fast and consistent.

I think that’s a real standout thing about Electra One, long-term commitment to the products keeps the community growing and makes the investment safe and worthwhile.

2 Likes

Wow! What a superb video. Great production and a brilliant overview of the E1. It deserves lots of views :trophy: Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Such an great video, not many of them around, I also wish that there were more people showcasing how they use the Electra One, an what’s is purpose could be…

just wanted to add to the support, thanks for making an informative video. Can’t believe it’s taken so long… I know we all find the machine complex, but surely the dev’s would only benefit from more videos showcasing the amazing possibilities of the machine

1 Like

Great job with this video. I like your mix of technical descriptions of what the box can do and your own reflections on what you’ve found easy and difficult about using it. It flows nicely from the earlier video on your channel about acquiring too much gear - the E1 being a great way of shining a new light on an instrument you already have and getting something fresh from it.
Looking forward to watching some more of your videos!

Really nice video op. Holding the clip on mic is ok with me.

Nice video! I am the developer of the Ableton Remote script and was triggered by your remark that it would be nice to have the ability to control the most significant parameters of a complete set from one preset/page within the DAW control. There is in fact a way that sort-of works:

• put an audio effect rack on an audio track all by itself
  • put as many Map8 max-for-live devices within that rack as you need (Map8 is part of the Max for Live Essentials pack). Each device can map 8 parameters anywhere in the live set (something you cannot do with the macro controls in a rack.)
  • map the parameters you want to control using Map8.
  • then map the map8 controls to the macro controls on the audio rack, in the order you want them to appear in the preset. Rename macros names as appropriate.
  • Select the audio effect rack, and the mapped parameters show up on the effect control of the E1 (if you run the Ableton Live remote script of course).

Only downside: parameter values as shown in the device preset all have value range 0-100%. This is a limitation of Map8 and I suspect (after some digging) a limitation of parameter mapping in Max itself: I cannot get the underlying parameter values/types of a parameter in Max.

2 Likes