Info for parameter

Sometimes when you look at a parameter, you may not remember how it works. Let’s take an example with Strymon TimeLine and the “Smear” parameter. It would be great if you could somehow bring up a window in Electra with a description of the parameter.

“Smear, softens the attack of the repeats while maintaining full frequency response. This allows for higher mix levels while keeping the delay out of the way of the dry signal. With high Repeats levels, the delayed signal gets dreamy and ethereal.”

1 Like

Maybe something like a “long press” to activate a note attached to a parameter would be cool!

1 Like

Yes something like that. Or a double click on the parameter.

1 Like

Even being able to store them in a page slot and add notes to snapshots for a reminder of why | what your snapshot is and functions.

• 1 for notes :raised_hands:
1 Like

I’ll try out something with a scrolling text…

2 Likes

mmm, in principle it works as a function “showHelp” added to a control, but currently the text being called is preventing the controllers from being tweaked and that is not the purpose. Can anyone think of a way the logic below could be fired in parallel with tweaking knobs?
And that could be stopped, once another control is being changed?

The code below is rough of course, and assumes three controls with ctrl# 1, 2 and 3, each with their own help text.
The text is scrolling on the lowest line at the right. It waits for 0,4 s then scrolls one character per 0,075 seconds.

helpTxt = {}
previousCltId = 0

function showHelp(valueObject, value)
  local currentCltId = valueObject:getControl():getId() -- ref id
  if currentCltId == previousCltId then return end
  previousCltId = currentCltId
  helpTxt[2] = "Smear, softens the attack of the repeats while maintaining full frequency response. This allows for higher mix levels while keeping the delay out of the way of the dry signal. With high Repeats levels, the delayed signal gets dreamy and ethereal."
  helpTxt[1] = "Explanation for control 2"
  helpTxt[3] = "Explanation 3 "
  for i = 1, math.max(#helpTxt[currentCltId]-19,1) do
    info.setText(string.sub(helpTxt[currentCltId],i,20+i))
    if i == 1 then helpers.delay(400) end
    helpers.delay(75)
  end
end
1 Like