Roland MKS-70 (Vecoven 4)

So you are getting any kind of signal via the E1 into the MKS but no Sysex out of the MKS into the E1.
Can you tell me how the physical connection travels from the MKS’s MIDI out into a MIDI In port of the E1? Is it direct? If not, what equipment is in between?
Can you see proof on the E1 screen (upper line) it does receive some outbound signals from the MKS, such as a program change?
Can you force a sysex memory dump fon the MKS itself? Do you find evidence this reaches the E1?

Just went through the vecoven manual. Do check midi menu parameter 51 compatibility is not on value 2. midi menu 21 Sysex should be On, but midi menu 22 Sysex APR I’d set Off.

Thank you @duster. As soon as I can figure out the Sysex issue I’ll see what else needs to get done. I’d be delighted to see if the preset is working and how it could be streamlined.

@NewIgnis, thank you for staying on this!

I don’t have too much time to trouble shoot right now, but here quickly:

I’m getting all signals from the E1 into the MKS. Even sending sysex makes the green MIDI receive indicator on the MKS light up.

Didn’t even consider hooking up the MKS MIDI out until I read this as I’m not able to deal with patch recall yet anyway… Thought for a hot moment that that was the issue… But doesn’t seem to address the main issue. But when I did I was able to check that editing on the MKS itself showed the MIDI in indicator on the E1 being active.

Direct MIDI cables. Nothing in between. Would love to have it routed differently once all is working, but that is a different story for a different day.

Can you see proof on the E1 screen (upper line) it does receive some outbound signals from the MKS, such as a program change?

See above. Now I can once I plugged in that connection.

Yes, I was able to do that and the E1 MIDI in indicator flashed.

Thank you for doing that. Interestingly enough My MIDI menu doesn’t extend to number 51.
Opposed to the manual it goes like this:

11 Control Channel
12 Patch Prog Change
13 System Exclusive
14 Sysex APR
15 Sysex IPR
16 Realtime
17 Tone CC
18 Note MSG
21 Channel A
22 A Prog Change
23 A Aftertouch
24 A Midi Volume
25 A Modulation
31 Channel B
32 B Prog Change
33 B Aftertouch
34 B Midi Volume
35 B Modulation
41 Edit Display
42 GU280 Support

Totally confused by this, to be honest… Quick edit: Updated the firmware to MKS-70 4.18, but no changes.

1 Like

In any case, the cable back is mandatory. It would be good if you could extend the midi signal coming from the MKS through the E1 into a PC or Mac so you can verify what the signals look like with an app like Midi-Ox.

But ensuring you’re on the same OS as the manual will be the first step indeed

Outlook voor Android downloaden

Thanks. Will see how I can route that to make it happen.

Emailed Fred Vecoven about that and it turns out that V3 and V4 differ in that regard.
I have indeed the proper Midi Menu for the firmware I’m running.

He still feels that the “normal” sysex patch programming was left intact through the update.

OK! Somehow I seemed to have gotten it done after all…

After some kind help from Fred I followed his advice and started recording what the MKS-70 transmitted when I changed some parameters on the synth itself… Still way too much data for me to figure out…

Then I realized “What if I found a parameter that only has two states and I switch it from A to B, both on the synth and with the E1 and record that as a single message sysex?” And I did… There was:

This was what the synth sent: F0 41 39 00 24 30 01 21 01 F7
But the E1 sent this instead: F0 41 36 00 24 30 01 21 01 F7

Sending the recorded sysex message from the synth back to itself yielded the desired response, the E1 version didn’t neither directly or as recorded.

Next issue was that somehow Chrome was weird with the E1 web editor… Although I changed the 36 for a 39 it didn’t make a difference… Somehow although still being able to send to E1 the changes didn’t stick… After a round of rebooting and restarting things finally worked…

Tired, but very happy!!!

Will look things over in the next few days and if all goes well I’ll share what I got…
Or maybe try to figure out how to integrate PATCH REQUEST and the modified DX7 envelopes…

Thank you all!!!

1 Like

I did not find anything in the manual that starts with F0 41 39…
Can you get hold of the manual that corresponds to your firmware?

1 Like

Thanks for checking, @NewIgnis , but there doesn’t seem to be a newer manual around. There is however a website listing all the new version 4 sysex information or this pdf from Fred’s site.

The section we are talking about (patch management) is supposedly untouched by the upgrade tough.

Well, that indeed explains it, the Sysex messages between the first manual and these two are different, the former one had the F0 41 36… the latter has F0 41 39 used for the individual parameters. As there is no more info on the other sysex requests and dump, you need to do some detective work on the MKS70 , by reviewing the sysex output, in order to figure out if there are any other differences.

1 Like

Thank you for confirming that, @NewIgnis ! Appreciated! Will look more into that soon!

By the way, I was able to make one sysex patch dump to import when I edited it in a hex editor after comparing it to one that was working. I was happy about that.

1 Like

Anybody got an idea why my Electra One and mks-70 with Vecoven 4.18 do not talk to each other at all? The only exception being chorus but even that does not change the chorus but something else

1 Like

So interesting… I worked on a version that I’ll try to double check in the next few days…
Will post here when I feel it’s done…

1 Like

Ok. I published my version of the preset now: Electra One App
Please let me know of any errors and any other comments.

Have not dealt with patch request yet so far… Hope to get to that eventually…

Thanks to all who helped me get this far: @NewIgnis, @duster and obviously @Feinsveur

3 Likes

will check later today, thanks so much!
EDIT: It works! :slight_smile:
But when looking at Midi-OX, I see NRPNs and not sysex (as you wrote). Not complaining at all, just wondering.

2 Likes

@markus.schloesser : That was still quoted from the original preset.
I just adapted what I had to make it work for Vecoven 4.x. Honestly I don’t remember much much about it… Had hit a snag at some point and couldn’t really move beyond it, then got distracted… Glad it’s working on your end.