Ableton Live MIDI Remote Script / Control Surface

Would be surprised if that works without problems. Especially renaming track names would probably fail. But the rest might actually work.

:pray:
Thank you for your answers ! then I’ll wait until FW3 becomes an official release and Script will work well with it. until then, I control all necessary parameters in Ableton using the normal cc mapping method.

Since then I have another Electra One (because of the display problem). the earlier problems with “chaotic operation” (it looks like it) were due to the USB hub and its power supply. with a new usb hub and a different power supply (so far, for… days), the E1 and the Script also work perfectly
Is it possible to solve somehow that if I click on a track in Ableton, the Script does not switch to the “Plugin device” preset?

Interesting suggestion. Once the new firmware is officially out and the remote script makes full use of it, I’ll think of adding such configuration options.

1 Like

if I want to use the Script for “basic control” (which is in the mixer preset 4 pages), as I already wrote, there is the “problem” that if I click on a track in Ableton, e1 immediately switches to the “Plugin device” preset (bank 6, Preset 2).in the current state of the Script, could the solution to this problem be to simply delete 1 (or more) files from the Script directory?

Did some testing but do not see the behaviour you describe. If I click on a different track in Ableton the currently selected device on the previously open track remains visible on the E1. And, if the E1 displays the mixer, selecting a different track does not open the device page: the mixer track remains visible.

Do you happen to have another remote script running as well? This might explain the situation: If I enable e.g the Remote SL remote script I DO see what you describe. But this is the OTHER remote script selecting a device on the newly selected track; this in turn makes the device selected for all other remote scripts, including the E1 who thinks a user explicitly selected a device and therefore switches to the device page. I do not know how to tell these two things apart. Anybody else have an idea?

Thank You!
Yes, I use Launchpad X for sample start and midi notes,
but I still want to launch the samples with the pads of the E1, I turn off the launchpad as a control surface.
For the midi Notes I don’t need the Launchpad as Control Surface

I switched the Launchpad off, but but still the same.
E1 Video

this plugin device “interface” would also be very useful for tracks, but it would be nice if E1 only showed this when I switch to this preset. but this way I can’t use Ableton when the E1 Script is on, because the E1 jumps to this plugin device preset even from other presets

but as I already wrote… it would also be very good for me if only the “basic Script” (mixer, eqs, sends, returns) interface would work without the “Plugin device” interface. can this be solved somehow?

Thanks for the video. Did some more testing and indeed: even if ONLY the E1 remote script is installed, if you select a track with a device selected in it, it will get appointed, and then the remote script switches to the device page and uploads the device.

Still I am not sure how to solve this, because I don’t really know how to tell the difference between this and an actual user selection of that device… Have to think about this.

Disabling the device preset feature altogether shouldn’t be too hard, but I prefer to wait until @Martin finishes the API

Thank You!
but basically there are many Scripts in Ableton’s “Script library”. how "only the e1 Script is installed? should I delete all the other Scripts from the Ableton library? or can I “temporarily” solve this by deleting a file, files from the Script library?

I am looking forward to Firmware v3. Currently I cannot use the remotescript.
Its slow and even crashing my Ableton on Windows.
Then to route the midi via another program is too much for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Note that you will probably have to do that even for firmware v3 for any reasonable performance when uploading patches, unfortunately. (It should work with any remote programs, but will be much slower)

" * SWITCH_TO_EFFECT_IMMEDIATELY Whether to switch immediately from the mixer preset to the effect preset whenever a new device is appointed in Ableton, or only switch when explicitly requested by the user by pressing the upper right preset request button on the E1. Default is True."
:ok_hand: :pray:
Thank You!
Works fine!

1 Like

The Ableton Live remote script has been adapted to version 3.0 of the E1 firmware and now reached a state that it should be more or less useable in practice, see

Please test extensively and report any issues you find!

In particular it now uses the Ableton Live reported value strings to display for faders for which it cannot intelligently compute the value strings to display locally on the E1. This concerns mostly non-linear volume and frequency parameters on effect presets (the mixer does not use/rely on this feature for performance reasons).

In the coming weeks I will develop curated presets for most Ableton effects and instruments.

7 Likes

MIXER_PRESET_SLOT = (0,6)
EFFECT_PRESET_SLOT = (0,7)
PRESET_COLOR = ‘FF4000’

:pray: :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Note: If you happen to own two E1s, then you can use the second one to control the mixer exclusively, while the first controls the currently selected device.

Simply provide the second E1 with power, and plug it’s MIDI 1 Out into the MIDI 1 In of the first E1, and it’s MIDI 1 In into the MIDI 1 Out of the first E1. Connect the first E1 with your computer running Ableton using the USB cable, as described below. Manually select the Mixer preset on the second E1 and you are all set.

4 Likes

@martin Since a couple of months, the faders are working very smoothly, even when turned very quickly. However, this is not the case for those faders in presets generated by the Ableton remote script that get their value string from Ableton live, like the “FREQUENCY” control in the AutoFilter preset. If I move the pot forward very fast, the fader suddenly jumps back to zero (just like all faders used to do in the past). Would you have any explanation for the difference in smoothness?

1 Like

Hey so I’ve been testing this a bit over the weekend and I love it!

I notice it works great but then hangs after a while (like it will freeze the E1 to where it won’t respond to the preset change buttons, nevermind device follow)

For reference am running it with Push 2, but no other presets. Latest 3.05 FW. Is there anything I can do to help identify the issue?