Maybe don't zip the firmware files?

Hi, just a minor suggestion, but one which caused me a little issue initially as a new user.
When you present the E1 firmware files for download, currently they are contained in a zip.
But the zip filename is the same as the expected file and contains full stops. On windows, where it defaults to hiding the ‘.zip’ extension, the downloaded file gets presented in the file explorer as for example “Controller-v3.4.srec” which looks like it is a ‘.srec’ file at a glance.

In my initial attempts to update, I put the zip file onto the E1, but although it shows in the bootloader, it just hangs and doesn’t process the update and I tried a fresh download and sat there confused for a bit until I figured it out :face_with_monocle: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

So yeah, I know it shouldn’t be necessary if someone follows the instructions exactly, but I am fairly technical usually and it caught me out. I know the download will be larger unzipped (4.5mb instead of 1.8mb) but I think it would be more immediately useable and would miss out a step which may cause confusion. Or maybe E1 can be updated to unzip the firmware files?

As I say, just a minor suggestion. Hope it helps one way or another.
cheers,
James

I think this is really a MS Windows issue.
I would suggest to disable hiding of file extensions by default.

4 Likes

I’m sure it is, yes :slight_smile:
I’m not asking for everything to change so that it’s less hassle for me. I can definitely sort myself out now I know where I went wrong.
I was just highlighting that I had an issue and that therefore it’s a potential pitfall for any other windows users

2 Likes

I get your point. I will try to come up with something that reduces possible confusion.

2 Likes