MFB Synth II, CC mapping 10 bit

Maybe someone can help me. I bought an mfb synth 2, the thing has quite an extensive mini implementation, almost every parameter can be controlled via cc’s. However, most of them do not work with 7 or 14, but with 10 bits, and two cc’s are assigned to each parameter. How can I map this in the app, should I simply select 14bit? Enclosed is also the corresponding midi table. Many thanks in advance for your help.

how are the 10 bits distributed over the 14 bits of those 2 CC’s you need? If it’s 7 bits to the LSB and 3 bits to the MSB, then you can use the 14bit CC without further ado, whilst limiting the value range to 0…1023 so you keep within that 10 bit limit.

Unfortunately I don’t know, the manual is pretty sparse on this subject. But thanks, I’ll give it a try. This is the first synthesizer I know of where this is the case… Quite advanced for the time, but Mr. Fricke was probably pretty picky about some things;)

I just found this in the Squarp forum, I’ll give it a try. Because I don’t know how I can use 2 different CC numbers for just one fader in the editor app.

Do you have a midi monitor tool on the PC, like MIDI-Ox so you can actually see what the synth and the elctra One are sending out?
If not, install that first, so you don’t work in the blind.

Thanks for the tip, yes I will try that, because the information on the cc values on the net is also partly contradictory;)

1 Like

ok, i haven’t given up yet :slight_smile: Unfortunately MidiOx doesn’t work on my Mac, so I used MidiView to see what the synth is sending. Here’s an example of what happens when I turn the cut off knob, there seem to be 2 CC’s involved that send alternately. Is there any way of mapping this with the ElectraOne?

When I use the learning function in the Electra app, it looks as if only one CC value is recognized here:/

Accordingly, it also does not work if I want to use the assignments “learned” in this way. The sound becoms just scratchy and unfortunately not filtered :upside_down_face:

if anyone has any ideas, I’d be really grateful, because the synth sounds really cool. :sunglasses: But if the midi implementation doesn’t work I’ll probably sell it on…

Have you tried setting the control up as a CC 14 instead of NRPN?

CC14 controls use 2 CC numbers, one low number and another 32 higher (so 21 and 53)

I think if you define it as a CC14 with the large range and assign it to CC 21, it should work properly.

Yes, I have tried it. But I don’t know how I can use 2 different CC numbers at the same time, there is only one input field for the parameter number. Thank you for taking the time to help me :slight_smile:

You don’t need to control two numbers at the same time yourself when processing 14bit CC. If you defined CC21 as a 14 bit control, it will then automatically use CC53 as its LSB, and CC21 as its MSB. That’s part of the Midi standard. But since for other synths those 2 CC might be used independently, it’s not illogical that using the learn function might yield partial results here.

That is what the CC overview you showed also tried to tell you: the Coarse CC is the MSB, the Fine CC the LSB. The are consistently 32 numbers apart. You must combine them in one CC of 14 bit with a range of 0 to 16383.

When turning knobs while looking what happens in MidiView, do turn much much slower. Because you change so fast, the numbers appear to be random. But they are not. Try again :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes and it seems correct, as it recognized CC21 as a 14 bit, according to the name it was given. However the message type says NRPN and that is incorrect, you must keep it as CC 14bit.
Also the range is not complete, maybe the knob did not allow to turn all the way, as the range stopped shortly before 16383. You can change that manually so you round off to the nearest value the amount of x bits can you (know that you start at 0, not at 1)
Did you check with MidiView what E1 is sending?