Midi 2.0

It’s still early days for MIDI 2.0, but will it be technically possible to update the firmware of the Electra One to support some (all) of the new features of MIDI 2.0?

1 Like

MIDI 2.0 is on our long term plan. The idea of MIDI CI is so close to what we are doing that we would like to have Electra capable of bridging some gaps of MIDI 1.0 for older instruments and provide MIDI 2.0 interface for them.

4 Likes

Sounds great! :slight_smile: Thank you.

And four years later it’s still is! :wink: But the amount and intensity of bells about it keeps growing slowly and steadily, we start seeing hardware supporting it, and I was wondering whether there are any updates about the long term plan mentioned by @martin above.

check out Sonic States interview with Microsoft on MIDI 2.0 on NAMM this year. They made some pretty interesting comment on how MIDI (even the 1.0) will change in the near future

Yes, I’m following Midi 2.0 - General Discussion - Elektronauts where this interview was mentioned. However, unless Microsoft has acquired Electra One, that interview doesn’t answer my question. :slight_smile:

From anther thread. Copied here for future readers.

Change how exactly?
Microsoft just sucks with their shitty midi driver.
So are we finally getting multiclient support?

yes, at least according to themselves

1 Like

And showing it live on video :blush:

a question. I made changes (early dev version) so that E1 supports most of MIDI 2.0 CI profile/property exchange. When I use MIDI 2.0 debug tools (MIDI Workbench and BOME CI tools), I can see that the communication and property exchange goes just fine. One of the use cases is that E1 exposes the preset controls as properties. I guess you get the idea, that would allow us to easily record automation of any preset parameter in the DAW.

But now I am wondering, is any of the existing DAWs capable of reading that info (parameters, technically speaking the CMList data)? If so, any clues on how to do that? I messed around with the Logic Pro and Ableton but I am kind of clueless…

EDIT: I have korg keystage hooked up to my E1 too. That does not seem to initiate the CI discovery/exchange either…

Windows currently does not have midi 2 capability, but Pete from MS (psychlist1972) is actively maintaining and working on that on github and released dev 5 preview today.

OS: Osx, ios and Android are supposed to support all midi 2 capabilities.

Wrt DAW: Logic and one other support it, while Pete was showing a dev version of Cubase that supports midi 2 at namm on YouTube.

AFAIK there’s currently no support for ableton (but might be internal only)

The only thing I can see in Logic so far is the MIDI 2.0 checkbox. Not really sure what it does :wink:

Is there documentation about this?
Might be about UMP only.

Also the midi 2 gearspace thread has some devices listed that support CI

1 Like

just to clarify my question :slight_smile: I am quite sure the dev version E1 does support MIDI 2.0 CI. When I use, say Bome-CI software, I can see everything being picked up and negotiated just fine:

and the preset controls retrieved:

I was just wondering if / how I could use / retrieve this info in any DAW. eg. displaying on-screen knobs or recording automation of those properties.

Are you a member of the midi organization? They will probably have way more info.

Wrt logic: what I wrote earlier, might be that their “midi 2” switch only means ump but not CI

About other daws: I’m only really familiar with Live and there it would be a remote script, but haven’t seen anything wrt CI yet.
I’d contact apple about logic and steinberg

Edit: I see you already posted your questions on gs! :blush: :+1:

1 Like

The Korg modwave plugin claims to support MIDI-CI if run standalone.

1 Like

yup, Korg software/hardware is doing well. I can read Wavestate Native parameters just fine. The KeyStage reads all parameters of E1 preset - it just does not show them on OLEDs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Recognized as MIDI 2.0 device with UMP support:

Works on MacOS and Linux (kernel 6.5+). CI Parameter exchange tested in both directions. Electra can read parameters of connected devices as well as it can provide information about the preset controls as CI properties.

There is still a lot do do: creating a preset out of received parameters, allowing translation of MIDI 2.0 parameters to MIDI 1,0 (eg, mapping MKS-50 sysex messages to properties so that DAW can pick them up and automate). The hardest low level part is done though…

7 Likes