MIDI control via computer

I’d like to change my E1’s pages and presets from a midi controller I have plugged in to my computer (Elgato Stream Deck). I can tell it send any message to the Electra Control port, and I guess the mac will route it as expected. But on the docs page there is no reference to which messages perform which functions ( External MIDI control | Electra One Documentation )

1. Am I correct in expecting this to work, despite the docs only making reference to directly
  2. Is there a list anywhere so I don’t have to find out by trial and error?

Thanks.

1 Like

@axelf, Electra can be configured by providing a configuration file that defines features such as the MIDI control, preset banks, etc.

The description of the config file is provided at Config format description | Electra One Documentation. Examples can be found on github electra.one/configs at master · martinpavlas/electra.one · GitHub.

It is important to say, that the MIDI Control has been so far designed to work with MIDI controllers connected to Electra’s USB Host port. It should be, however, fairly easy to add support for USB device port. I will add that onto the development todo list. It can be done in next minor release. I expect it to be released quite soon as there will be definitely fixes to be released.

2 Likes

Hi @martin
I am trying to achieve the exact same thing.
Is E1 MIDI Control implemented for USB device port already or is it for USB host only still?

If the latter, is there any timeline for adding this feature, as you mentioned it’s possibly a minor change?

Btw the support you give on this forum to your product is just awesome!

That might come in handy when selecting a track in ableton and then sending out a program change to Electra from that track to change the preset to the synth that is on that track

1 Like

Hi again,

I just was able to test and prove that this already works, using config such as

{
   "version":1,
   "midiControl":[
      {
         "event":"switchPage",
         "eventParameter":1,
         "midiMessage":"program",
         "parameterNumber":1
      },
      {
         "event":"switchPage",
         "eventParameter":2,
         "midiMessage":"program",
         "parameterNumber":2
      }
   ]
}

and sending program changes from any midi controller accordingly, via MIDI USB, no need to use the host plug.
In my MIDI controller I selected to sent the program change to the E1 virtual CTRL midi port.

Sorry if this is obvious, but I did not get it like this from the docs at
https://docs.electra.one/extcontrol.html#configuring-a-usb-host-device

I am trying to use E1 as (one of several) controllers for a VST/AU host used for live performance purposes. Running some proofs of concept in order to verify there is no dead end at some later stage,

Hope to be able to share my results in this forum soon.
Loving the E1 so far!

2 Likes

yeah, I need to adjust the documentation. It is not limited to the USB host only any more. Instead, the control messages are accepted on the CTRL port (available on USB device and USB host interfaces)

3 Likes