Naming Button

Hello!
I’m working on a simple “save page” with 12 characters that will cycle through my synths Patch Naming per letter. It would be great there was already a single button that took up a couple UI Cells for this purpose.

There is already such an example. Look for a preset called ‘touch test’

1 Like

That Preset is cool!
Is there a simple approach to assign specific Sysex DEC Values to individual characters as well as linking the Character Positions to SysEx Byte Position and change that value as well?

I’ve given naming a lot of thought since many of the templates I’ve created name stuff. I decided against trying to keep them as separate parameter numbers/separate sysex elements s much as possible.

Some reasons include - you probably want to display the name in one or more places in your preset;
You might want to pull all the preset names to display a list for the user to use for selection rather than A1, A2, or 15,16,17, etc;
If the user edits the name before saving and then changes their mind, you need to restore the original;
If you are editing every character via sysex or CC, sweeping the control from A to s sends MIDI messages for every character in between.

So, pull the preset, parse the name out into a string, use that as much a possible, then either pack it back into the entire preset before sending it or use a simple loop to send back each character as part of the preset save process.

1 Like