On device mapping

Hey!

In my opinion the device should be more standalone. The GUIs are too complicated. I prefer using my Elektron’s (Digi-Series) MIDI tracks still for ease of use to map other (soft+hardware) synths.

Maybe we can look at how Elektrons do it? It’s so easy you can do it blindly (literally).

I have a few ideas but first would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Call me intrigued, but without more details it is difficult to share precise thoughts. :slight_smile:

I had a Syntakt, which I believe has the same workflow you have in mind? Can you provide details about in this workflow you think should be suitable for the E1, please?

Just cut out any software for configuring the device and you’re there.

Essential parts of it are:

• MIDI detect (turn knob/button on your synth, E1 maps it).
  • Shift + $button enters the 2nd row to config mapped MIDI CC / Ch

The only thing that is missing on the Elektrons is that they don’t save presets (I would love to save setups under the synth’s name etc.).

I think that way I would be able to get more into a flowing template that actually works (for me).

1 Like

I totally agree. A “simple mode” in which you can just learn E1 parameters to (for example) CC, with the ability to change the CC number, the range, etc. would be a great addition. It would be the first step for creating a preset via the online editor. And for some users, it might just be enough.

1 Like

If you mean a learning mode directly on the E1 itself, bypassing the editor, that would make sense. But it might be tricky to make such presets interchangeable with the editor. So maybe we should have 2 preset types: the simple ones that only can be edited via midi learn on the device itself, as per your suggestion, and the normal ones that profit from the full range of editor capabilities. Simple ones can than be converted into normal ones, but not the other way round.

1 Like

it might… might not. Can you elaborate? Why should it be difficult?

2 Likes

Because a preset made on the editor contains formatting , comments etc… once a preset is loaded into the E1 these comments and some of the formats are not kept. You can imagine it wouldn’t be attractive to load a normal preset onto the E1, tweak it with the on device mapping, then transfer it back to the editor and see part of the previous work lost.

1 Like

doesn’t sound like a unsolvable problem tbh

1 Like

yes, it would work for presets that are not overly complex. It is actually the controller that does all the MIDI learn work (not the website editor), so the only obstacle is designing some decent user interface for it. and having a time to do that.

4 Likes

I think this is one of the really important features. Imagine you die. Internet stops working globally/locally. You shut down the company. 1001 reasons why it’d be important to have a device that is not reliant on “something” that for sure will not last forever.

And those reasons are just as crucial as the usability / immediacy aspect. I really don’t like looking back at my history of MIDI controller programming. I tried / own them all and using those GUIs to click endless hours is just frustrating (I mostly stopped at one point).

Anyone remembers using Lemur … still have a trauma :smile: or the best example (for both aspects above): Livid Ohm RGB … they had a nice idea / dream … but basically I can use the Ohm 64 only with its default settings … the remaining bits of the Online Editor are a piece of junk (unmaintained / offline, I think you can try to run / install it offline with lots of bugs etc.)

Also I think the people buying this device are into hardware … I work so much with the computer that when I make music I don’t wanna use a desktop/laptop - it’s a flow killer vs. MIDI learn on the device which could be so quick it wouldn’t

1 Like

Former Lemur user here. It still works and i can still create presets for it.

With any company there is a balance between enhancing the product, future proofing, fixing bugs, and creating new hardware.

There’s also the issue of resources - a one man company like this means that devoting time to creating something new might mean a huge timesink that delays bug fixes and other more immediately useful enhancements.

Take a look at the Squarp or Conductive Labs forums. The most vocal, highest volume of comments and complaints relate to lack of releases and very slow bug fixes.

So far, IMHO, Martin has been doing an admirable job balancing everything.

3 Likes

Oh, this isn’t a critique! I know this … I just wanted to point out the relevancy to take this into account for the time when the biggest issues are resolved.

re Lemur: Oh, I wasn’t saying the editor isn’t online anymore – was just a memory how painful it was to use their UI.

I respect all the hard work that has already been made, but I agree that it’s an important feature, probably more than implementing OSC or Ableton Link.

Thanks for considering it at some time.

I like this idea, even if there are boundaries to consider (like the ones I mentioned). In many cases , it will allow for on the spot preset building, improving workflow speed, and keeping one’s creative mindset while making music.

2 Likes

I’d love to see this added as well. I was a little bummed when I realized there was no simple way to use the device like a midi fighter when the need is there.