REQ: Omnisphere

Hey guys! Anybody taken a stab at mapping omni? Hope not to offend any hw synth lovers :wink: about to try the new omnisphere hardware control with my new prophet 6, would love to get electra in the game too! I can’t even think about how to map omnisphere’s 8 million controls in a useful way… any insight appreciated…

1 Like

Hey, I just tried and indeed you can use the hardware profiles of Omnisphere with the appropriate Electra hardware presets like Sub 37, OB-6, Moog Minitaur etc.

Seems like a nice way to get more in touch with some favorite classics :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know much about Omnispere, but I did make presets for the Sub 37, OB-6 and Minitaur as it happens :). Can you elaborate a bit on what a ‘hardware profile’ is and does?

Hej NewIgnis, Omnisphere had the idea to use some classic hardware synth layouts to control omnisphere with it. It uses the CCs/NRPNS of the hardware to get the instructions, so your Electra presets can be used by Omnisphere in hardware profile mode…

In this mode Omni models the waveforms and some of the designs like filters, multidrive, arp, fx for every profile differently. So you get kind of the character of each hardware when controlling it, plus new possibilities like polyphony from the software side.

I just played a little with it and the Electra and – even when you don’t have the same layout as on the hardware – it is fun to switch to some classics. Maybe I try to make a performance preset with some classics based on your and other presets :slight_smile:

I had fun noodling with the Minitaur and Subsequent 37 presets from you. I don’t own Omni, I just had a band jam with a synth friend and tried it.

2 Likes

Talking about fun, I’ve made a preset (not public yet) where I added an LFO and an additional envelope generator to the Minitaur. It now can do things it can’t on its own !!!
And because it is fun, I’ve been experimenting with orginal waveforms, that are still mathematical, not too difficult to achieve, such as trapezoids, convergent ,divergent and echternach step LFO’s (see screenshot) , and stepped sawtooths (no , I did not steal that idea from Hydrasynth :slight_smile: ), where the steps can be MIDI synced.

All LFO shapes are made variable as they can be skewed.
The LFO can be free running, start phase can be chosen, as well as a fade in.

The added envelope is loopable in different ways. It is of type IDAHDSR, so it has an added init level, a delay befor the attack, and a hold after the attack. It respects keyboard tracking and is velocity sensitive.
The LFO and the EG should control up to two destinations each.

the LFO waveshapes:

Furthermore, some additional destinations to aftertouch , modwheel and velocity modulation have been added, and as a cherry on the cake there is a kind of resonance compensation, by automatically increasing volume when resonance is being increased. Not perfect, but usable.

But the whole preset isn’t stable yet. With FW3.2 and MkII I hope to get to the bottom of this.

In any case, it makes the Minitaur via the E1 go to places you weren’t expecting it to go. A lot of fun indeed.

If that works, this LFO and/or ENV addition could be ported to other monophonic synths but it’s not a simple task yet.
Even a monophonic LFO can make sense on an otherwise polyphonic synth. Sequential does this all the time.
Also: a monophonic EG on the E1 could turn polyphonic synths into paraphonic ones :wink:

4 Likes

Wow, that‘s some new territory - control and extend with the electra :slight_smile:

I would like to see some patch morphing capabilities for snapshots in future electra updates.

And about Omnisphere I have to say the hardware patches/waveforms all sound fantastic. I understand now why some musicians just use this.

1 Like

Hey @NewIgnis, I’m tinkering with the Minitaur preset and tried use the 14bit CC implementation of the Minitaur for Omnisphere…

But I could not emulate the 14 bit mode in the Electra because of the weird (?) 14 bit implementation. The Minitaur seems to send the regular 7bit CC value first (MSB) and then the LSB for 14bit fine control. E.g. for Cutoff MSB 19 with a value and then LBS 51 with a value for the finer 14bit…

Have you ever emulated this kind of 14bit midi protocol?

2 Likes

The MIDI messages, as you describe them, are correct. CC14 uses two CC7 messages with LSB being offset by 32. 19 + 32 = 51. The question is how the value is structured in Minitaur. By default, Electra One, translates the two 7-bit values (MSB and LSB) to a single 14-bit value. That representation might not be in line with how the data is presented on Minitaur. If it is the case, the incoming data need more processing. I’d suggest to wait for @NewIgnis to respond. He worked on the Minitaur a lot.

2 Likes

I’ll need to check. It is possible I believe (at least I found the logic used), but in conjunction with my LFO and EG ideas it was clogging the MIDI interfaces with an avalanch of messages.

I’ll let you know later this week

2 Likes

Thank you both for the quick reply. It’s not that urgent - I’m happy with the 7bit control atm and always confused with all the different midi message types.

I downloaded the Moog Software Editor and it gives these values, when turning the cutoff knob (CC 19 or MSB 19 + LBS 51 for 14bit), Format: Message/Channel/CC/Value:

Note from the manual:

For all parameters, the MSB indicates the ‘regular’ CC number,
and the LSB indicates the high-resolution ‘fine’ control value.
If you are only sending 7-bit MIDI CC messages to the Minitaur,
use the MSB number by itself. Note that when MSB-only
messages are issued, the value range is always 0-127.

I have created a Minitaur preset for Omnisphere and added the mappings to download. It’s like a poor man’s Minitaur in software :slight_smile:

The preset plus mappings to download are here:
https://app.electra.one/preset/YX4d1Ptons7cTelacGJK

4 Likes