Select next or previous preset page

Let me be more specific: display originated page change.
Could also be arrows or clickable page numbers.
And thanks for trying! :blush:

1 Like

this sounds like an ideal candidate for some lua extension…

this requires a control being able to determine things like current page, number of pages, and then being able to switch pages.
users could then chose to implement back/forward, or even a bar/choice could switch pages.

we could share lua scripts/snippets on this forum.
I also see lua allowing users to try differ UI ‘prototypes’ and if they become popular with alot of users, could be considered for default inclusion

hopefully this approach, might avoid having lots of UI preferences switches to cope with different users ‘tastes’.

perhaps even the swipe could potentially be done with lua, if a ‘background’ component existed, where you could register handlers.
though, Im with @martin , alot of the touchscreen (particularly iOS) gestures work because they have very good feedback mechanisms, which make them feel ‘natural’
Ive a few devices, e.g. Remarkable, which don’t have this and feel a bit ‘meh’

1 Like

I am aware that the UX of good swiping is a difficult one to achieve.
Having said that, I am also a huge fan of gestures as they feel very intuitive and can originate from multiple places, in contrast to buttons /arrows etc. So you don’t need to look at the device to be able to change a page. I am fully prepared to accept the “not so smartphone like” feedback for that :blush:

1 Like

NO swipes please!! I hate it when you touch something on a screen to select it an than, for moving your finger to slow you change to another page.
What I would appreciate: The posibility to have a special category of pogrammable softcontrols like Pads and Lists just for internal navigation. So you can place a Pad with a page jump anywhere in your layout if you like or have always sitting a Dial with a list of all pages on the same position on all pages in your design. Its all about workflow and something like this seems pretty cool to adapt page navigation to any needs!

A silly idea: pressing two buttons simultaneously: left buttons to go left, right buttons to go right…
Pressing left middle and upper, brings you to the left side but in pages 1…6
Pressing left middle and lower brings you to the left as well but in the pages 7…12
Pressing left lower and upper is going left but within the array of pages you previously were.

2 Likes

@martin switching pages as is now is still not a smooth experience when editing sounds.
The 3 row select buttons on the left could do the trick.

top and bottom buttons to scroll up and down the current page,
if your at the bottom and you press the bottom button again you go to the next preset page.
if you are at the top, the top button again will get you to the previous page.

This would make the editing synth patches a much better experience.

The 2 buttons would scroll through control sets as well. This will make the middle button redundant,

1 Like

Nice idea! There was also the idea a time ago to select section via touch and the pages with the left hardware buttons…

Or create default LUA handlers to be called for each of the six buttons, like the patch.onRequest() for the PATCH REQUEST button. Then this can be configured by a patch as needed/useful.

1 Like

I have been using Shankar’s method, but again reviving this thread because I wish there was some kind of “one button solution” to quickly changing pages on a preset. I have been updating my published presets to make them simpler and easier to use (for example, Minimode preset covers everything in 2 pages, TAL-J-8 is now down to 4 pages, with most important functions on the first two pages) and some means of rapid page switching would make the workflow even easier.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s just a matter of getting used to it? I find the method with the longer button press on the low right button and then touching the knob for the corresponding page very elegant and fast. I use it quit a lot. Especially when I work for a more prelonged time with one preset, muscle memory comes quite fast, even faster than I would have thought beforehand.

I think any alternatives might sacrificy screen space for the controls, that might get in the way of playability.

Perhaps, but maybe we could use some of the buttons on the side of the knobs? Buttons 3-4-5 are used to select which row is active, but they can also be selected by touching the actual row. Like it could be that 3 = increment page, 4 = decrement page, 5 = go back to home page (page 1).

1 Like

But if you’d then be on page 1 it would require 3 button presses to go to page 4. Even more so when there are more pages. So that wouldn’t be quicker to navigate? As it is now, all pages require just 2 button presses.

This is true; however I am making a concerted effort to have presets with most of the main performance controls on one or two pages only. :raising_hand_man: :computer:

1 Like

Yes, it that case it would be a good solution. I think it would be a nice feature if all the buttons and knobs could be assigned by the user. That way you could make it work the way you like it and i could work out my own prefered template. Button 6 and 7 for instance I barely ever touch. If I could, I would change those to a function I use more (increasing and decreasing of the preset number of the Arturia VST’s comes to mind).
So I wouldn’t want the method you describe to replace the current way it works, because that wouldn’t work well for me. But if more flexibility is introduced, I’d welcome that.

All that still points to gesture based navigation as the best solution :wink::blush: (swiping)

Maybe a bit off topic, but I’ve read somewhere that Apple has a few patents in that regard? I believe that is the reason why some of the user interaction with the new Akai MPC’s is somewhat cumbersome at times. Apparently Akai had to work around those patents. Mind, I don’t know for sure if that’s true. But if it is it also might have some influence on possible gesture implementation on the E1.

I think the forward/backward jumping is really helpful to get faster to the next/previous page, i.e. LFO to ENV… I also use mostly three pages all the time and to always have to press two buttons across the electra for that is not very handy.

1 Like

This is similar to what i have suggested 2 times. @jhh @martin
I do not like the current way to select pages so much. with these buttons it will be more intuitive for me.

there are many option with button 3,4,5
4 could toggle rows, 3, 6 could scroll to rows and then pages.

1 Like

I keep an eye on the thread, I read it, I think about that. This is actually one of the reasons that lead me to making bigger changes in the upcoming 3.0. Once I get to the buttons / UI part of the work on 3.0, I will actively discuss this with you guys.

6 Likes

After using the fast page switching via MIDI a lot, a cool feature would be to see 6 page names of a Electra page row with the actual position highlighted in the bottom bar of the Electra. This helps when cycling through the pages from left to right etc.

At the moment the bottom bar only shows the preset title plus the actual page…

The feature would be like this:

Main Page | Sub 1 | Sub 2 | Sub 3 | Extra 4 | Sub 5 | Sub 6

The titles would switch when entering the 6 bottom pages.