Snaps how-to

(1) Today the Snaps page in my Electra show at the top the buttons
Load - Load & stay - Send current - Remove - Save .
The term Recall was used in a post about Snaps back in April, and pushing that button appeared to mean that a button press sent the Snap (its parameter values) to the Preset and also to the MIDI unit (right?). Recall is not found on that page today. Could I ask what these 5 buttons mean? I assume Remove means that that Snap disappears. The Save-button is to be hit just before choosing a place to park the Snap, then it’s there. What happens with the buttons Load, Load & stay, and Send current?

(2) Is there any way to change the name of a Snap?

(3) Is there any way to export a Snap, or all one’s Snaps, as a file (a backup), and if so: how is it to be stored, and how is it to be activated or sent to the Electra?

(4) Before writing this I was busy having fun making Snaps for the Continuum. Are all those Snaps I Saved marked as associated with the Continuum Preset?

(5) Can there be more than 36 Snaps for a particular Preset/MIDI Unit combo?

1 Like

+1 to be able to name Snaps. Like name of presets inside a synth.
+1 also for being able to dump them to the computer somehow (sysex dump ?). Allowing backup but also transfer from one E1 to another…

1 Like

The five top buttons in the Snaps window represents actions you can do with the snapshots.

The Load, Load & Stay, Remove, Save set the actions to be performed with the snapshot. It is like setting the mode of operation. In general you choose type of the action and then pick the snapshot slot where the action will be performed.

For example, if you choose Remove, then you tap the snapshot that you want to remove. If you choose Load, you then need to tap the snapshot to be loaded.

The Send current behaves differently. It immediately triggers action of sending all current parameter values to connected devices.

the meaning of the buttons:

Load - loads snapshot (saved parameter values). It updates all preset controls and sends them to the connected device. It is like changing a patch on the synthesizer. The Snaps window is closed automatically.

Load & Stay - identical to Load but does not close the Snaps window. You can use it to quickly send the snapshot values to the connected synth. Once you close the Snaps window, the preset will be populated with values of the last loaded snapshot.

Send current - does not load any snapshot, instead it sends all current values of the controls to connected devices. ie. it syncs Electra and the synths.

Remove - removes the saved snapshot.

Save - allows you to save current values of controls to given snapshot slot.

Unfortunately not in the webn editor yet. It can be done in the Electra One console.

click on the Snaps tab:

click on the saved snapshot:

the patch will be updated in both, the ElectraOne console and the hardware controller:

this can be used to remove snapshots too,

The snapshots (on the grid) can be also drag and dropped to different locations.

not yet.

Snapshots are always stored within the preset slot. It means that each preset has its own snapshots. The only shortcoming now is that if you upload different preset to the preset slot the original snapshots will stay there. We want to resolve this together with export/import function.

Each preset may have up to 432 snapshots (12 banks of 36 slots). You can see the list of banks by holding down the [SNAPS] hardware button.

While holding the [SNAPS] button down, the touch on knobs can be used to select the bank. You can recall this menu by pressing [SNAPS] button even when you are on the Snaps page already.

It is our intention to integrate this fully in the web editor and make it possible to store, backup, share snapshots in app.electra.one. The export / import to a local file for backup reasons is also part of the plan.

1 Like