Waldorf microQ (2 presets)

These are 2 templates for the Waldorf microQ from 2000, a more affordable version of the Q from 1999.

microQ

This synth is so feature packed, I couldn’t even fit “play mode” for the current voice into a single preset! I created one preset just to cover the arpeggiator, and another to cover the remaining features.

Make sure you have a MIDI cable from the synth going back into the Electra One so you can ‘handshake’ and use the [PATCH REQUEST] button, which syncs up the settings of the 2 devices.

The first page ‘CMD’ is a quick access page for commonly used controls.

Warning: you may find your device freezes without the latest firmware, as the main preset is close to the current memory limits. It works in version 1.4.2.

4 Likes

Easter Egg.
Did you know that, when you press “Play” and “Global” during start up, you get a memory game?

1 Like

Hello, this preset is causing my device to freeze on firmware version 3.2.1. I realize it’s been a couple of years since this preset was last updated, but is there a chance for an update that does not freeze the device?

I was catching up on how to use Lua with the E1 a few months ago, so I might revisit it soon. I there any particular control that’s freezing the device?

It seems to freeze as soon as I change any parameter using the knobs. I was able to successfully use the patch request button once while I was testing it yesterday. I technically still have an ongoing issue with my MRCC midi router having trouble with sysex messages, which might be a contributing factor, but the other presets I’ve tried haven’t had the issue with freezing the device. Sorry this isn’t super helpful information, and thanks!

Try a direct connection to the Electra One to see if it’s a problem with the MRCC or the Electra One.

If that works you know the MRCC is causing problems.

Ok, tested with a direct midi connection to the Micro Q and the freezing still occurs, unfortunately. The preset also seems to cause my device to freeze with nothing plugged in to the MIDI or USB host ports as well.

I reviewed the preset and ran a few tests with patches from:

The issue is that the preset really consumes all available memory. I tried to split the preset into two separate parts:

• the synth programming
  • fhe fx programming (pages FX1, FX2, FX3)

When these two presets are in the controller, both of them process incoming sysex without problems. Of course, the [Patch Request] must be used in both presets to keep them in sync.

This is actually a decent workaround to run larger presets on mk1.

Edit:
On mk2 it runs ok.

How did you go about splitting the preset into two separate presets? I’m still a bit unsure on how things like copying and pasting items works in the editor.

1. make two copies of the original preset.
  2. change their names accordingly.
  3. delete controls on pages FX1, FX2, FX3 in one of them (you can select all and delete).
  4. delete controls on other pages in the second.
  5. Re-arrange order of the pages you as you wish using page preview mode in the editor.

These are the examples of what I did earlier today:

I will remove these presets at some point. I think it is worth trying to make the change by yourself to get familiar with the process.

Ok, I tried doing a quick edit of the preset myself, it seems like just removing the entire first CMD page solves the freezing issue, and since all of those controls are technically redundant that’s great! The issue now however is that I can only get the synth to send patch dumps to update the Electra preset, but the Electra won’t control parameters on the synth. I’ve tried switching the control input mode on the synth to both on and MP-Bundle, but neither seems to have any effect. the Electra also does not show parameter changes in real-time when I adjust them on the synth hardware.