Yamaha DX7 / TX7

Hello, new user here.
I will check DX7 before the end of year. I suppose there shouldn’t be any problem with TX7 editing template, basically it should work with DX7, DX5, TF1, DX7 II D/FD, DX7s, TX802.
But generally it’s necessary to know some facts and accept the reality:

• According to MIDI standard SysEx data have priority, so when sent together with music data, it can cause delay and rhythm problems with music data.
  • Old Yamaha instruments were not designed for real-time control. Edit buffer is small, data processing slow.
  • To hear a change in parameter value it is necessary to retrigger key. That means nothing will change on sustained tones or chords, and sending SysEx commands can probably stop the sounding. I will check this.
  • As I have written many times in various forums, a whole concept of Yamaha algorithm synthesis is not ideal for any changes, because control is not analog, continuous - there are abrupt jumps in the sound when the most important sound parameters like algorithm, coarse/fine tuning are changed… Some changes of other parameters like envelope rates and levels will be not to hear immediately, all this depends on position of operator in algorithm. And because some parameters are narrowly connected with others, when conditions are not set or one parameter activated, another one will have no effect. Of course this is not a mistake.

Many years ago I have owned Jellinghaus DX7 MIDI controller but sold it without regret - because of all above mentioned problems it didn’t work well with DX7. In no case it can’t be expected that Electra could work better - problems are on the side of Yamaha.
But still SysEx control can be used for creating sounds. Which is also the main task for Electra controller.

2 Likes