Yamaha DX7 / TX7

One thing I learned over the time. Making a preset for a synth really helps to know the device inside out and it may boost the creativity :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Unless itā€™s an FM synth and then you still feel like an idiot. lol

For me, even with the full graphical display on the Lemur app, it was still a huge learning curve to figure out how to direct the edits to get to a desired result. I need simple machines I guess.

3 Likes

hm interesting. i would have thought that it would work and have the same sysex. i mean, tx802/dx7-II is ā€œbackwards compatibleā€ in the sense that you can use dx7 patches. and loading those banks works via sending the same sysex (or not??). so i thought using real time editing would also use the same sysex. the dtronics also works with the tx802, or is that specifically implemented?

You can always just try it and see what happens.

The machine ID in the sysex header would probably be different at a minimum.

Really, the best way to determine is to pull up the system exclusive info for both and compare.

Quick scan of the two shows that you can leverage the work done w. the DX7 to handle the voice data from the TX-802.
Couple small tweaks - in the Voice data, parameter 18 is not used on the 802 (but is in the dump) and then in the Additional Voice data block, parameters 39 to 73 are not present in the 802, so the bulk dump size and processing will be slightly different.

Point is - with a bit of tweaking, you can get the voice data in and out of the 802.

attached is the TX-802 sysex PDF (The DX7 info is readily available on line, not sure about the 802)

TX-802_SYSEX.zip (260.4 KB)

2 Likes

thanks very much!

the thing is, i am thinking about selling my tx7 for a tx802. just such a great synth, the tx802. i would then be looking into trying to make an electra one preset for that. maybe you can help me. i sadly donā€™t have one right now to test out.

Iā€™ll do what I can given limited time. I no longer own a TX 802 (or any FM machines), so I wouldnā€™t be too much help on testing it.

1 Like