Ableton Live MIDI Remote Script / Control Surface

P.S. if you have a link to firmware 3.1.7 I can downgrade and test myself

Hey there!

Is it supposed to be working with the MK2 hardware already? If not, please dismiss my post and Iā€™ll be patiently waiting until it is the case. However:

I followed the installation instructions using the latest github version thoroughly and am testing it with a very basic ableton project on my M1 mbp with macOS 12.6, ableton live 11.2.11 as well as 11.3. E1 firmware 3.2.6.

It works at the beginning, but after a short time the E1 becomes unresponsive and freezes. This can happen both in the Mixer preset as well in a currently selected device preset (not device specific it seems, happend with channelEq, AutoFilter, EQ8 open). Happens with both ā€œMixer.eprojā€ and Mixer.alt.eproj".

Do you have any hints what might be causing this behaviour?

Hiā€¦ Iā€™ll have my hands on a mkII soon, and will test it myself. One Q already: do you have sendmidi installed and configured, or not?

1 Like

Well letā€™s say, I followed the steps to do so, but is there a quick way to confirm if it works properly?

1 Like

The log file should say something like

2023-05-28T22:52:20.612522: info: RemoteScriptMessage: E1 (debug): * Testing whether fast uploading of presets is supported.
2023-05-28T22:52:20.779209: info: RemoteScriptMessage: E1 (debug): * Fast uploading of presets supported. Great, using that!

1 Like

I just got my mkII and did some testing and ran into similar issues; for the time being I incremented some timeouts and that seems to work (but more testing needed, for which I do not have time right now). Iā€™ve committed and pushed the changes so if you download the latest version from GitHub, you can test yourself.

5 Likes

thanks alot! I will do that once Iā€™m back from work.

Firmware v3.3 for mkII us out. @jhh and I tweaked a few things and it all seems to work well now. The new firmware is available at app.electra.one.

2 Likes

Thanks @martin for the amazing work!

I just pushed the latest version to GitHub. Let me know if you run into issues, or have suggestions for improvements. (P.S.: The dual setup, with a second E1 connected to the first to control the mixer is known not to work at the moment, but the will be resolved soon.)

4 Likes

P.S. The push mentioned yesterday actually only happened jus now :blush:

4 Likes

Just wanted to thank everyone and all that contributed to this script. Works really great for me(though I am still getting used to the menu of the actual Electra Oneā€¦ not so much the script).

Again wonder script! thank you!

4 Likes

I am very happy. Now using the MK2 the experience is smooth.
My previous unit caused Ableton to freeze for 2 seconds between plugin changes.
That severely blocked my workflow while recording/mixing etc.
Not sure but I thing my unit had some technical issues ā€¦

Now things are so smooth.
Havenā€™t even updated the remote script yet.

Thanks so much!

Make more music!

Cheers

TIm

3 Likes

Im struggling to get this to work. Have followed the instructions on the github, but Electra One does not show up as a control surface in the midi settings. Does the ā€œluaā€ folder in the ā€œupload-to-E1.zipā€ go to the ā€œctrlv2ā€ folder as the ā€œpresetsā€ one does?

I think other connected midi interfaces and controllers messed up the communication between E1 and Live; shut off everyone (a motu midi xt, 16n faderbank and an MCL all connected through USB). I also tried using the Komplete Kontrol control surface preset, and I have control from the E1 to Live. The mappings donā€™t correspond however, which I assume is because of the mentioned control surface preset used, so Iā€™ve been re-mapping. I suppose this would be unneccessary if I managed to install the E1 control surface preset as showed in the attached pic, from your installation guide?

Sorry to hear that. Yes, the lua folder also goes to the ctrlv2 folder , just as the presets folder. But that is not related to the Electra One not showing up as a control surface.

Not sure what you meen by re-mapping and the control surface preset. Things should work without any additional configuration once the ElectraOne is properly installed and recognised by Ableton and connected to the right ports as shown in the picture.

ā€œElectraOneā€ is nowhere to be found in under the Control Surface menu, but the input/output is routed as it should, and ticked for ā€œremoteā€ under midi ports.

What I mean is that none of the mapped parameters in the e1 preset correspond to their ableton ID counterpart, so while I have connection between the E1 and Live, I need to remap the controllers for it to work.

If the ElectraOne is not found, then yes, no mapping whatsoever will take place. Where did you install the contents of the GitHub (i.e. not just the zipfile but all the files in https://github.com/xot/ElectraOne)? It appears Abelton cannot find them.

See the left part of the first pic a few posts up. My Documents, in the Ableton directory under user library/remote scripts (which was a folder I created, as per instructions)

Ah. There should be a directory ElectraOne within ~\Documents\Ableton\User Library\Remote Scripts that contains all the files.