Ableton Live MIDI Remote Script / Control Surface

Hm. Can you test again (restart Ableton) setting DEBUG = 5 in config.py and send me the output of the log file Log.txt in ~/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 11.3.21/ (depending on your version of Ableton, and if you are on a Mac)

1 Like

Thanks for sending the logfile. Apparently the remote script wasnā€™t always filtering the preset data for special characters. I have patched the code and uploaded a new version to GitHub. Can you download it and see if this fixes your problem?

It seemed to work, once, but now itā€™s back to square one. Sent you a log.txt.

I have another one (not urgent at all):

Iā€™ve made a bunch of presets by dumping the presets the script creates, then uploading them to the Electra One website, and modifying them.

After placing them in \preloaded and running makedevices (I placed them on the E1 itself, in ctrlv2\presets\xot\ableton, too) using the request preset (or whatever itā€™s called, top right button) to go back to the mixer page from the preset no longer works.

(They are in the format with the hyphen, so for example, Lode-.epr, so the M4L device is inside an instrument rack)

• Mixer ā†’ autopopulated preset and vice versa works by pressing the top right button on the E1.
  • So does mixer ā†’ my user-defined preset. but not vice versa.

Any clue?

What version of the firmware are you using? (Experimental) versions above 3.5 have this problem.

1 Like

never mind, I checked your logs and you are also running 3.5 so that canā€™t be it. Did you

• put default.lua in ctrlv2\lua\xot on the E1, and
  • create a <device>.lua for every <device>.epr that you made, containing at least the following line at the top of the file:
require("xot/default")

and also upload these lua files to the E1 in presets\xot\ableton too?

2 Likes

That did it! Thanks so much for helping me with these. Hoping to release some presets soon, closer now thanks to this :+1:

1 Like

I updated the remote script based on your bug report to be more forgiving when trying to construct preset for complex devices. It now creates a functioning (but limited) preset for GlƤnta for example :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the work, works like a charm. I sincerely think this script is the best thing that has happened to Ableton :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Blush :wink: Glad you like it!

Hi!

I know this is not directly about the script, but strongly related, and I think many people here might have a good grasp on the topic:

I have saved instrument racks containing devices. Is there a way to change which device has the ā€˜blue handā€™ when opening a saved rack? The default is always on the instrument rack, which in my case is useless.

Thanks!

Hi Thereā€¦

I donā€™t know if we should append a question regarding the Ableton remote script here, or open a new thread?!?
Anyway, I hope, here is okayā€¦

I just tried to create a new ā€œdefault deviceā€ in the Devices.py file with the tool ā€œmakedevicesā€.
I think I succeeded because the device is now in the Devices.py file.
However, when I load or select the device in Ableton it will always download the parameters in its default state to the E1 and not use my newly defined layout in the Devices.py.

Before creating the new Devices.py I of course did create my own ccmap and epr files in the preloaded folder.
When I upload my Patch from the Patch editor to the E1, everything works fine.
It just does not load this patch whenever the VST is (re-)selected.

Since I have not figured how that mechanism should work (to decide wether to create a default patch or use a patch defined in the Devices.py file), I have no clue what to do next.
Can somebody please explain what step I am still missing?

I hope I conveyed my problem in an understandable wayā€¦

Maik

Dear Maik,

The remote script uses the device name to look up any predefined preset in Devices.py. So, e.g the Echo device uses the information contained in Echo.ccmap and Echo.epr (and Echo.lua) which are all combined and merged into the Devices.py module using the makedevices script. This works for all ā€˜standardā€™ Ableton effects and instruments, but NOT for external plugins and Max devices. See ElectraOne/README-ADDING-PRESETS.md at main Ā· xot/ElectraOne Ā· GitHub for details

Thanks for the reply!
With the link into your documentation, I understand that it will work (or at least ā€˜chances areā€¦ā€™), if I put the VST into an instrument rack, dump that and then create a new entry in the Devices.py with that Instrument rack?

Sorry for re-assuring, it all is still quite overwhelming for me since I just got my E1 last weekā€¦

Maik

Yes, if you put the VST inside an instrument rack with, say, name SuperPlugin then when you select the VST inside the instrument rack it should dump a SuperPlugin-.epr and SuperPlugin-.ccmap which you can then edit to your liking (note the additional - the remote script adds to the name).

Thanks, will try it.

Btw, the ā€œSuperPlugInā€ is the UAD MOOG Mini Plugin.
The initial dump and modification for my liking of the controls already works very good.
Only that it is overwritten with the dump from Ableton once I select another device and then come back to the VST is what I need to overcome somehowā€¦
What I was quite excited about is that the dump also contained CC messages for controls of the VST that are not documented in the manual. So I was thinking that some controls I just cannot remote control. But now I can.

1 Like

Iā€™m having this odd problem with Ableton, the script and my E1:

If I run ableton with the E1 turned ā€˜offā€™ (with the screen off shortcut), after some time (seems random) Ableton hangs. As soon as I turn the E1 screen on, Ableton jumps back to life.

Happens both with the latest Ableton Live 11 and 12 betas.

Anyone else noticed?

No, havenā€™t tried that feature yet.

@Martin does the E1 still process incoming MIDI when the screen is turned off, or not? (If not, overflowing buffers might block the script and hence freeze Ableton)

1 Like

The script also supports Live 12 (as released today) - there were only some minor glitches that needed ironing out.

Will now add predefined presets for new devices (Roar, Meld) and update some presets for devices whose interface somehow changed (like some of the MIDI effects). This will take more time!

8 Likes

@Martin Does the set logging command SysEx implementation | Electra One Documentation return an ACK/NACK? The remote script times out waiting for oneā€¦ And I think it used to work. I am on firmware 3.5.4

Fixed in the upcoming release.

1 Like