Ableton Live MIDI Remote Script / Control Surface

Sure, let me know when I can help. It should be reasonably straightforward though: click the link to the GitHub repository above, then click the green Code button, and then select Download ZIP. Install the downloaded files to the location described in the README.md (the text you see when visiting the repository), configure as explained there (you need two additional programs) and you should be all set.

2 Likes

Other option is to clone the @jhhā€™s repository to the directory with remote scripts (~/Music/Ableton/User Library/Remote Scripts/ on MacOS and ~\Documents\Ableton\User Library\Remote Scripts on Windows). Either using the command line command or GitHub Desktop. That way it is easier to keep the ElectraOne scripts updated when @jhh makes new changes.

1 Like

I can confirm it is much faster. What happens if sendmidi is not installed? Does it revert to Liveā€™s MIDI stack?

And one more Q. Would it be possible to remove the preset (bank 6 / slot 2) when the last device is removed from Ableton? ie. only the Mixer would stay in the bank 6.

1 Like

If sendmidi is not installed it reverts to the normal, slow, method of uploading a preset through Live.

Sure, if the last device is removed from Ableton, the effect preset in bank 6 slot 2 could be removed. Iā€™ll put it on the todo list.

2 Likes

Hi,
Iā€™m trying to understand what is going on here to make the script work, but Iā€™m quite out of my depth.
Iā€™m trying not to ask nonsensical questions before digging deeper.
Needless to say I havenā€™t gotten the script to work.
I wish I could see a video of the install process beyond just having the python files in the remote script folder.

I need to know one basic thing right out the gate.
Is this supposed to work if the Ableton folder is not in the main drive, and therefore with a different directory?
Am I supposed to edit some file to match my setup?

Iā€™m on windows. Iā€™m guessing thereā€™s a step where MidiPipe is use on mac, to merge Midi portsā€¦? (Step I havenā€™t figure out yet).
I have midi ox on Windows that I think does the same thing.

If I understand what needs to be done I can try to replicate it in windows using that software.

I have no access to a Windows machine, so I unfortunately cannot be of much help. If you install the python files in the remote script folder (Iā€™m told this is ~\Documents\Ableton\User Library\Remote Scripts where ~ stands for your home directory) this should work. You can check you installed it correctly if you can select ElectraOne as a remote script from the dropdown list in Preferences.

You need (for now; this should be fixed soon) something like MidiPipe to merge MIDI ports: you need something that merges the CTRL and Port 1 output of the ElectraOne into a single MIDI output that you can then select as input for Ableton.

Ok this last bit, helps, I wasnā€™t sure which ports to merge.
I think I know what to do, Iā€™ll try it as soon as I can.
One thing for sure is that MIDI is being sent and recognize from the preset. But unless I manually map it, it doesnā€™t work.
I still donā€™t understand everything I need to do, but Iā€™ll come back later once I got the basic figured out.

Yeah I ran into the common Windows poor midi implementation and canā€™t run both programs at once. I will try another software called Loopbe and see if that works.
Later;)

Well I wanted to report that I got somewhere.
I can get the script to work if in Ableton preference, under control surface, input I first select port 3 (Ableton gives me a yellow bar at the bottom saying E1 is mapping.
Then I load letā€™s say looper into a track. Shows up on the E1 (itā€™s truly awesome btw!).
But the caveat is,
I have to change the input back to ā€œElectra controllerā€ (USB port in guessing), which in turns turns off the automatic loading of a new device, but everything else works.
So in the end, this is a windows limitation as everything is right now. Iā€™m still trying to find a good workaround.

I guess in a couple of weeks a new version of the firmware (3.0) will become available that allows the remote script to work without any additional software; the MIDI port mapping issue is then resolved and it should work for you much more easily too

Hi, for me it works fine

just make sure you use the latest:

in ableton I have electraone as control and in and out

• ElectraOne Controller
  • revision 2.00
  • firmware v2.2

use github desktop with the url of the git and clone it to C:\Ableton User Lib\User Library\Remote Scripts\ElectraOne

Hi,
Iā€™m curious Iā€™ve tried several things to no avail.
You are on windows 10, Ableton 11?
I have 3 inputs and 3 outputs for E1 (Electra controller,
Electra controller 2, Electra controller 3).
Which ones do you select for input output?
I appreciate if youā€™re able to help.
Iā€™m pretty sure I have the last version, but I will change it to be linked and make sure itā€™s always updated.

Either way,
It seems an upcoming firmware update will solve this, but Iā€™m just wondering how you got it to work:)

I am on MacOS

You should see three inputs/outputs when plugging in the Electra: Port 1 Port 2 and CTRL.

To use the ElectraOne with my remote script, combine Port 1 and CTRL using an external program (I use Midi Pipe on MacOS) and merge their MIDI signals into one output, letā€™s call it MergedOutput. The select mergedOutput as Input for the remote script in Live

Thank you for this though I was wondering how Flyweight got his to work if he were on windows.
If I use the equivalence of midipipe in Windows (midiox) Ableton wonā€™t see the Electra ports because the midi is ā€œoccupiedā€ by another software in this case.

Have you tried loopbe midi?

Hi yes win 10 and Ableton 11
port 0 the first one I use

Ok.
Besides installing the script, did you do anything in particular? (Like installing Loopbe or modifying the script?). Iā€™m assuming youā€™re also using some kind of interfaceā€¦ Iā€™m stumped as to how itā€™s working for you in Windows.

I tried the other night, installed it but I didnā€™t know how to make it work, so Iā€™ll see if I can figure it out.

May I ask if and how you got the E1 to work with the script in Windows? Are you also able to have the editor open and connected while the E1 is used in Ableton? (I seen to recall you asking the Technobear about this, and he suggested Loopbe?).

1 Like