After the update to firmware v3.0 and another few hours testing I was finally able to call up Presets and Pages remotely using MIDI commands.
But at least in my case it is obviously not possible to assign more than 17 MIDI commands. As soon as I try to create one command in addition it doesn’t work. The issue is that it is not visible before a browser refresh which took me quite some time to figure out the reason.
In case I shoot a video clip demonstrating the issue.
I made changes to the Configuration page. It has been split do several sections. External MIDI Control is one of them. It has been cleaned up and there should not be any restriction on number of entries.
When working on it, the following crossed my mind. I am not sure, however, if it would actually bring extra value:
add an option to MIDI learn the commands
add an option to run the “command” message from the Configuration page - to see that E1 reacts to it correctly. (I do it now in the MIDI Console manually)
display bank number and preset slot instead of cryptic preset ID, or possibly bank names and preset names?
reorder and edit existing entries
some (of above) seem to be obvious, some not. Maybe I am missing something too. Just collecting input…
… which didn’t work. As soon as I have Program Change command within the possible preset range (1 to 72) E1 uses the Program Change command to not change pages as configured but presets.
To verify I changed the Program Change commands to start with 101 for page 1 and so on which works. I tried different delay times between both commands from 0.07 to 0.5 seconds without any difference.
If necessary I can shoot another video like the last one. But maybe it is reproducible without it.
Another issue I had is that the preset change takes a long time when more pages and controllers on the target preset are used. I have two presets containing about 8 pages that are almost entirely occupied with controllers. To change to such a preset takes up to 17 seconds. As follows the time stamps from the start of the preset change command to the final change.
Between this time stamps the E1 sends 2.573 SysEx messages on the CTRL port which looks like an entire bulk dump of the unit or at least the preset. I can provide an Excel sheet with the complete data if it might help.
I wonder if it is necessary at all to send something FROM the E1 when it is the destination to just change presets.
E1 supports standard bank select + program changes. These are setup to have higher priority than the external MIDI control. Which is not right. I have just adjusted that so that external MIDI control is processed first (not released yet). If the incoming MIDI message does not match any of users assignments, it is used for the standard bank select + program change. If believe that will resolve your problem.
the 2.5k messages are the Log messages that you are observing in the Electra One Console / Web Debugger. Logging slows things down, but still, 17 secs is too long. I have just loaded 72 large presets to my Electra and will try to replicate that.