This is a bigger update of both, the Electra One firmware and the web application.
The firmware must be updated to keep compatibility with the web application and to be able to use the new features of the web app.
The firmware can be now updated directly from the web application, see instructions below. It is available on the Downloads page too.
- Presets can be now filtered on brands, device types, and usage groups. Big thank you to @NewIgnis for his work on the list of filters (Website Feedback) and to @nuipb for his input. I keep the tags in place as they were. They help me with categorizing the presets. I will adjust this later on.
- The new Controller menu item allows users to update the firmware, manage the configuration, view the log messages, and manage the presets slots in the controller.
Electra SysEx implementation has been extended to allow @jhh to work on his Ableton integration. A number of new messages have been added as well as it is now possible to process Electra SysEx messages on all USB ports.
Snapshots can be now managed in the web app and they are linked to the preset (not to the preset slot as it used to be till now). It means that when you move the preset around the banks and slots, it will not lose its saved snapshots. There is still a lot that can be improved but this should be sufficient for users to start working with it more seriously.
- Saving reworked and simple version control added. The new version saves work on presets automatically whenever the preset is sent to the controller or when the user leaves the editor. There is also a new option to save it manually and annotate the saved version. Saved versions can be exported and imported to presets and therefore it is possible to maintain a separated (work-in-progress) and public version of the preset.
- Presets and snapshots can be loaded and sent out using the MIDI Bank select and Program change messages.
Documentation will be updated early next week… before I leave to the Superbooth
There were a few minor fixes too. Not worth mentioning. I would like to apologize to @Perial, the routing of the External MIDI control did not make it to this release. I keep it on the list for the next one.
Firmware update in the browser
An important part of the release is the possibility to update the firmware directly from the web application. I would love this would become the standard way of updating because it makes it lot easier to make sure your Electras are running the latest available version. The update process is based on fairly new WebHID support in Chrome-based browsers. I can imagine that there might be some quirks and issues. If you encounter anything please share it with me.
These are the steps to update the firmware from the browser:
- An outdated firmware should be detected automatically. The web app will show a button to update the firmware:
- User will land on the Update firmware page and it is required to hit the Update firmware button there. (required by Chrome):
- Chrome will ask the user to confirm connecting the USB device (Electra One bootloader in this case). Unfortunately, the bootloader is identified as the Unknown device (16c0:0478). Selected that device and click Connect.
- The firmware will be uploaded.
If your Electra One got to some weird frozen state, hit the Update button on the back panel and repeat the process. Pressing the Update button on the back panel forces Electra to go to the update mode. In such case, the Update firmware page will read:
This release comes with many changes. We were testing it a lot. There were a few issues we saw but we could not replicate them. If you encounter anything strange, please report it. The issues were mostly concerning the Preset slots page in the Controller section.
If you had issues with the new versionm just downgrade to
firmware-2.1.7.img.zip (274.3 KB). It will work with the new web app, besides the new features, of course.
If you had problems with updating from the web app, you can still use the Electra One Console and upload the file from the Downloads page.