New ElectraOne console / Testing needed

Ok, it took a while but there is a progress. I would like to ask @Enthalpi, @thetechnobear, @RobinC if they could test enclosed firmware with their iConnectivity gear. The mysterious issue has been resolved and I can successfully use Electra connected to the USB host port of both XL and XM (could not verify Mio10).

Also, I am now able to transfer all types of messages on Linux, although a bit of tweaking is needed. Details are below.

Last but not least. I tried to reflect the feedback on snapshots and extended the functionality. This new firmware supports up to 432 snapshots per preset and the ElectraOne console app make it possible to manage them.

I spent majority of my time last month on learning the GUI programming. The idea is that this ElectraOne console (firmware updater) app will slowly progress to a native app that will allow full control of the controller.

The firmware:

firmware-1.5.7.img.zip (163.1 KB)

The ElectraOne console apps:

Notes:

Electra controller:

The Snapshot window is revealed by pressing the right-middle button. Holding the button down allows to choose a bank (1 … 12). It works the same way as the Page selection. When opened, the window is in the “Load” mode by default. ie. presessing a saved Snapshot loads it and sends the midi messages. Pressing “Remove” switches the window to the remove mode. In remove mode tapping a saved snapshot will remove it. Pressing “Save” mode make it possible to save current parameter values to given slot. If the slot is occupied, it will be overwritten.

“Send current” sends all current parameter values without saving them or anything.

There is still work to be done on the UI. I just wanted to improve the concept and make it faster to make actions.

The Snapshot is always saved with a generic name expressing the location and random colour is used. This can be changed by the ElectraOne console app.

Note, the snapshots are still bound to a preset location. ie. if you saved a few snapshots under preset 1 and then you will upload diiferent preset there, the original snapshots will remain there. This still needs thinking and doing.

ElectraOne Console app:

There are two new tabs in the app:

• Preset
  • Snapshots

Preset is a very early version. It just gives basic info about the controls of th preset and makes it possible to load a preset. Loading of the preset is a bit tricky. If you encouter problems, pleas let me know.

The Snapshots tab is there for managing the snaphosts. You can Update, Remove, and change locations of the snapshosts (drag & drop).

Other:

• Bitmaps are now in colours
  • It is possible to copy log messages in ElectraOne console to a clipboard. Button show up when lines are selected.

Remark on Linux
The default size of MIDI buffer is 4096 (on Ubuntu). When larger presets are transferred, the kernel reports the buffer overflow. This can be adjusted by changing the buffer size parameter of the sequencer kernel module. I tried to do that in run time - that did not work. Reloading the module with the adjusted parameter works.

ie.:

rmmod snd_seq_midi
modprobe snd_seq_midi output_buffer_size=262144

I haven’t actively used Linux for last 10 years. I am sure there might be a better way to do this. If there are any Linux experts, please advise.

Last but not least.

If this beta firmware and app proves to be stable, I will make it regular release and the features will become available to all users.

3 Likes