Newly created fader does note send midi Data [Solved]

Hello !

I’ve been refining a preset on the E1 for use with Ableton Live. It’s for a specific Ableton file I use in every live gig. It’s been updated over the years and I’ve combined it with a variety of different midi controllers. It was great fun to start creating the preset even before the E1 arrived in the mail !
I’ve had the E1 for a month, and it’s been great. But yesterday I did a minor tweak to the preset and got a glitch.

I duplicated a fader (pan style, -63 to 63, unsigned 7bit) and the new fader never sent any midi data. I tested the midi output with midi monitor on a mac. I went into a dig to understand the bug and this is what conclusions I got to :

• Only happens with pan style faders unsigned (I suppose they have a name !)
  • Normal faders work just fine
  • Sign bit and “two complement” work perfectly too

I also created a fader from scratch (not only a copy). Tried various CC values. What I don’t understand is that I have many of these types of faders working fine in my preset.

Any ideas, something I should test or check ?

E1 is running firmware 1.5

Thanks,

Jesse

I have had a similar problem, and was told it may be a defect in the web editor. I am sure Martin is working on it and will chime in regarding a solution.

Thanks Marzzz ! I did suspect it might be a problem with the web editor. I’ll just have to stick with regular faders until Martin offers a fix. No big deal :smiley:

I can confirm I am seeing the same error with the unsigned 7 bit faders.

I downloaded the .epr files for a fader that has each of the sign modes.

The only difference i saw was that the twos complement and signed bit had the following key/value pairs:

“signMode”: “signBit”
“signMode”: “twosComplement”

The unsigned fader did not include a corresponding signMode key/value pair. The missing key/value pair may not be the issue, as one could just check for the absence of it to make a determination in the codebase.

Nice idea, I also downloaded the code and had a look. I compared the script for my “old” working faders and a newly created one and found a difference in the formatting :

A working fader looks like this :
“values”:[{“message”:{“type”:“cc7”,“deviceId”:9,“parameterNumber”:0,“min”:0,“max”:127},“min”:-63,“max”:63,“defaultValue”:0,“id”:“value”}]}

And a new non working one like this
“values”:[{“message”:{“type”:“cc7”,“deviceId”:1,“parameterNumber”:2,“bitWidth”:7},“min”:-63,“max”:63,“defaultValue”:0,“id”:“value”}]}

Not really a solution, but it might be part of the problem :grin:

There is a link somewhere on the forum that allows you to manually push up .epr files to the Electra.one.

Its possible that if you alter the non-working faders manually with the min max values that you have verified are working, it might be a nice work around.

I am going to see if I can try that(first by finding the manual pushing software), as I recently created some new presets and my electra now has a whole bunch of parameters that dont work anymore.

So here is a way to get around it, based on Jesse’s and my research:

Create your preset on the electra editor.
Download the preset as a .epr file.
Open the .epr file in a code editor, such as Atom.io (on Windows notepad will probably work)
In that .epr file, each fader that uses display values that are positive & negative and of the unsigned type show up thus:

{
      "id": 3,
      "type": "fader",
      "name": "TRANSPOSE",
      "color": "FFFFFF",
      "bounds": [
      ],
      "pageId": 1,
      "controlSetId": 1,
      "inputs": [
        {
          "potId": 3,
          "valueId": "value"
        }
      ],
      "values": [
        {
          "message": {
            "type": "cc7",
            "deviceId": 14,
            "parameterNumber": 6,
            "bitWidth": 7
          },
          "min": -48,
          "max": 48,
          "defaultValue": 0,
          "id": "value"
        }
      ]
    }

In the message section of each fader, you will need to add the following:

"min":0,"max":127,

So that it looks like this [ you will see it right below the parameterNumber ]:

{
      "id": 3,
      "type": "fader",
      "name": "TRANSPOSE",
      "color": "FFFFFF",
      "bounds": [
      ],
      "pageId": 1,
      "controlSetId": 1,
      "inputs": [
        {
          "potId": 3,
          "valueId": "value"
        }
      ],
      "values": [
        {
          "message": {
            "type": "cc7",
            "deviceId": 14,
            "parameterNumber": 6,
            "min":0,"max":127,
            "bitWidth": 7
          },
          "min": -48,
          "max": 48,
          "defaultValue": 0,
          "id": "value"
        }
      ]
    }

Once you are done adding those Min/Max values to your .epr file, copy the text of the .epr file [using CTRL-C or CMD-C] and paste them into the following sandbox:

Electra One App Sandbox

Make sure your Electra One is connected to your PC and upload.

Voila. I tested it, and it worked on mine.

This is just a work around for now. I am unsure when we are going to get a fix for this, but it seems like it should be a quick fix on the editor.

@martin Thoughts on when we might get a fix for this?

1 Like

I didn’t know about the manual upload option. Thanks for looking into it and I’m glad my little research proved useful in the end. I’ll probably make a manual edit for the time being.

Umm, I think I’ll just wait for Martin to update it…!

hi, I am preparing a release that includes the fix of this issue. The firmware is ready. I need to coordinate release of new web editor and electra console app.

sorry for being silent, I had troubles with typing on the keyboard recently. It is better now.

Yes, the problem is caused by the fact that the unsigned ranges require min and max parameters. The fixed version of the editor provides input fields for these when unsigned type is chosen. The other sign types still require bitWidth only. I hope it is sufficient and makes sense.

Regarding the release, we are aiming at this afternoon (Europe). The release will be quite big - firmware version 2 goes out of beta - I will be available for any assistance and issue fixing during the weekend.

And big thanks to all who worked on finding the solution of the issue!

6 Likes

The new firmware is out. Will make an annoucement in a separate thread.

2 Likes