[Preset] Novation Summit/peak

@markhw You will find the preset version is now V2.1a. The issue in there is solved on the first page and upper section of page 2.
But it is as I feared: I’m running out of memory, so I can’t improve it no more. We’ll have to wait for Martin’s firmware 3.0 here, or the Novation fix.

However if in your preset copy the more controls you remove (I removed all unused name controls), the more memory you’ll free up to fix the issue.
Here’s what you need to do to fix:

• change every NRPN into a virtual control
  • assign it the function ‘simpleNRPN’

Do it row by row and check if the controls keep working. If suddenly the converted NRPN don’t do anything anymore, it means you’ve run out of memory yourself.

I just got an update on my ticket towards Novation about this. I confirmed it is still an issue we cannot resolve in current setup, and now Novation will look to address it in a firmware update.

Thank you NewIgnis, you’re doing amazing work! I’ve been away from home but will try out your bespoke NRPN function as soon as I can. I have a somewhat stripped down version of your E1 preset to remove most of the physical controls and just preserve the menu dive controls, but it is still a substantial number of controls - I’m guessing it will still run out of memory. But in the interim this sounds like a great workaround to get a page or two of controls working without the terrible NRPN bug. I’ll also report the cc38 issue to Novation just to add a little momentum behind the request :slight_smile: Cheers.

-Mark

1 Like

Some news on the Summit/Peak preset.

• good news: with the new firmware version 3.0 I’m able to overcome the memory limit, and was able to work around the CC38 bug that the Novation Peak and Summit have. So all parameters will be tweakable once FW 3.0 is officially released.
  • less good news: I found three more bugs in the Novation Summit. They were reported to Novation and acknowledged:
    • you can’t change from single to multi mode and vice versa anymore via MIDI. If any finds a work around, let me know
    • you can’t change the parameters of both parts A and B simultaneously via MIDI (strating frol the E1). Musically that is less of a limit.
    • you can’t change the ARP Transmit settings via MIDI

The first one is a tad annoying, but not workflow killing.

I’ll be looking into patch parsing soon…

2 Likes

Just published a new Summit/Peak preset using the new E1 FW3 version

https://app.electra.one/preset/K7A416tB5qkpZQEsqqv4

• we’ve worked around the CC38 bug that the Novation Peak and Summit have. So all parameters are now tweakable
  • sorry about the colour scheme, I’m using too many of them now! Still need to find new conventions for myself :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

[/quote]

1 Like

Thank you, NewIgnis – It’s great to finally have a fully functional Summit preset! :partying_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been playing around with the preset @NewIgnis and I’d like to help with the sysex mapping. I don’t know much about midi programming, but I think I can figure it out with some brute-force diffing of dumps.

Also, the wavemore is behaving oddly, it seems like the function is getting the position and not the value from the list? If I switch to native nprn from the function it seems to work fine but doesn’t read from the peak (I’m not totally clear on what the impact of the CC38 bug is)

1 Like

The preset doesn’t read from Summit/Peak yet. It was already using all of the memory in firmware 2 before I could work on it.

The CC38 bug: Novation has used CC38 to control ‘Mod Env2>Pitch’ both on Peak as on Summit. They should not have done that because CC38 is reserved for NRPN address purposes. So I had to make a bespoke ‘simpleNRPN’ function that does not send any CC38 information.

Thanks for pointing out the Wave More bug. Cause is found and should be corrected by now.

By the way, I’ve rearranged the mixer settings. Be aware!

1 Like

It feels like using this preset would be relatively limited for my purposes of remote control if it can’t read the edit buffer.

Would it be possible to maybe generate snapshots from preset dumps?

How do you generally work on presets? Do you work directly in the editor or use any external tools?

I intend to get started on parsing now fw3 is there. But the two questions above aren’t entirely clear to me :thinking:. Can you elaborate?

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply.

The snapshots thing might be unnecessary but if you could take a patch dump from the peak on a computer and generate a snapshot for a patch you wouldn’t need to read from the peak live.

As far as working on presets, my background is working with configuration systems, source control, templating, etc. I usually look for ways to generate text from code and templates and the electra presets are ultimately a lot of text blocks that follow certain templates and boilerplate.

Also, generating things from templates or code means you can usually use text labels in place of id numbers as well as create strong references between things to avoid having to manually line up numbers in multiple places.