Firmware 2.2 and Electra App update

I hadn’t powered my device on for a long time, and it prompted me to update the firmware when I connected it to my Mac. The update seemed to go okay, though the web app interface didn’t show the device as connected. (I was able to send presets to it, though.)

I realized the knobs weren’t working at all, and found a forum post where someone else had a similar problem after updating their firmware. Since the suggested fix was the firmware recovery procedure described in the troubleshooting section of the docs, I tried that. The firmware process went all the way through to successful reboot, according to the Console app, but the unit does not power on at all now, no matter what buttons I might press when I plug it in.

I tried looking for a chat icon on the website, but there wasn’t one.

I’m out of ideas — can someone help?

if you power the unit up whilst the console is running … do you get any messages?

also on your Mac, If you look at “System Report”, does it show it connected to the USB port, and what is the device labelled as?

Im assuming (as you think its dead) you are not getting anything on the screen as it boots up?
(e.g. not even the firmware version)

are you able to redo the hardware recovery still?

It might be an idea to do a video showing what happens when you do this, and include a copy of the log it produces.
does loading the older firmware work?

what hardware version of the E1 ?

a couple of notes, to perhaps allay your fears a bit, that things are perhaps not as ‘serious’ as they may look :slight_smile:

it probably is powering on… just you cannot see anything, if the firmware is not running “correctly”, you’d probably not see very much, and even the display backlight might not come on…
so it would look pretty dead…

these things have a protected bootloader, which handle things like the firmware updates.
so, firmware updates cannot really brick the device.
instead most likely the firmware is crashing… so it just appears dead.

internally, in the E1, the ‘firmware’ thats being updated is loaded on to a micro SD card.
whilst very unlikely, potentially this can get corrupted… this can make things go awry.
its a little fiddly to get access to it, but its very possible (with care!)
so worst case , it can be changed and have a new firmware image placed on it.

my point really is… whilst it may look like its a hardware failure, dont worry too much.
most likely the hardware is perfectly ok, and you’ll be able to get it up n’ running :slight_smile:

edit: ah, just noticed Martin has replied on a different topic … so hopefully you are already up n’ running again.

2 Likes

Thank you for all of this info!

Martin helped me resuscitate it — the issue seems to have been with getting enough power. My Macbook only has USB-C ports, so I was using a (seemingly not) powered (enough) USB hub. Dragging out my old Macbook to plug directly into a USB port allowed the firmware update to complete without issue.

Battery power from the Macbook is evidently not enough to make the knobs work, either, but once it’s on mains it works correctly.

Hi Stef, this is something for our talk we have later today. Please have the file ready when we are on zoom. Thanks!

calibration.img.zip (165.1 KB)