[Preset] Roland D-550 / D-50 / VC-1 / D-05

nice….

apologies for not being clear

altering the “structure” parameter on the “PATCH” page is changing the state of the “U1 SYN & TVF” page

or as you put it

• if a PCM partial is chosen, the TVF page will be fully hidden, and the WG parameters will appear on the TVA page. So there is only one page left for a PCM partial.
  • if a SYN partial is chosen, the TVF page will contain the WG parameters. The WG parameters on the TVA page will disappear, so logical order WG => TVF => TVA, spread over 2 pages, is restored.

how did you work this magic?

1 Like

Haha, no magic at all. On the E1 you can hide a control or make it reappear. There is a function I gave to the structure control, which has a bit of lua code that makes controls on those two pages disappear or reappear.
Some of the WG controls are cloned, i.e. they exist on both pages. So it’s a matter of hiding the one while the other is shown again.

hadn´t much time this weekend to play around, but I noticed on my preset, that the TVA BIAS LEVEL doesn´t work as expected. As the range is -12 to 0, I thought it is enough to have the MIDI values 0 - 12 and the parameter values -12 - 0 but that results in a graphic -12 - +12 and a resolution of 2 steps, So I did a text overlay for the 12 steps in reverse. Maybe you need to correct this in your version too.

1 Like

thanks for noticing.
I resolved it with a formatting function

function invert12(valueObject, value) -- for TVA bias level
  return string.format("%d",value-12)
end

Hi,
both upper partials are now in place in draft version V0.5

• The structure control on page 1 will now also hide the LFO-dependent controls not in use on the second partial when Ring modulation is active.
  • Each partial page now has Mute buttons for partials 1 and 2
  • The bias level, bias point and split point controls are using formatting functions instead of lists (@Lobo, there are some typo errors in the bias point overlay list. Do take over the formatting function).

All feedback remains welcome !
I already got more out of my D-05 in these last days than in the past year.

Hi all,

the preset is now completely functional in V1.
All patch, common and partial parameters are available except for 2 out of 3 MIDI parameters and the names.
I’ve changed the ‘Partial Mute’ into ‘Partial On’. It does the same thing but the buttons are inverted. You’ll also find them on the TVA pages. To keep? Or better the other way round?

Less good news is that the memory boundary is being hit. No more controls could be added, and I was forced to take down the ‘magic’ parameter moving between the TVF and TVA pages. It is what it is.

So I’m a bit doubtful we 'll be able to have meaningful patch parsing. We’ll see.

Are those memory boundaries per preset or for the total amount of what ELECTRA can handle?
Is there a way to see the memory already used while programming and how much is left?

It is per preset. So far adding four more controls is an issue.
I still need to try if adding patch parsing data will be a problem or not.

Had some time to do a bit of testing today. At the first glance everything seems to work fine with D-550. The “get channel” function is very useful, now I can put my MIDI setup back to a more normal state without having to reroute CH 1 just to make the old preset work. Big thanks for that!! I don´t know how much memory the lua stuff for hiding controls consumes. But for me, as I´m used to analog hardware where you always have all the knobs regardless if they have any influence in a certain setup or not, it would be fine to leave it like that (well I know that you put a lot of work to achive this…) Just in case you need the resources for more important stuff! And for my private use I will delete some parameters as well once the project is finished because there are things I never use on the D-550 (Reverb, the chase function or the output select…) so it will help to make the screens clearer and to safe some memory. I had to rearrange the layout to fit my personal needs and still working on it to make editing more straight foreward. I even doubled the PART BALANCE parameters to have them on the PATCH page and on the UPPER / LOWER pages. Also I moved the Structure from PATCH to UPPER / LOWER PAGES to clean up the PATCH page and that is were they are in the D-550 menue…

1 Like

Great. I’ll be comparing your layout with mine to verify what suits the workflow best.

…still moving around parameters. Also trying to shorten the names and to make the parameters easier to identifiy. With the sheer amount of parameters I find it annoying if I have to think about what each parametrer exactly does… Haven´t found a coherent concept for naming until now. On some pages one type of naming scheme seems ok while on others it´s better to have it the other way round. For more clarity I try to avoid “double tagging” So if the column above tells me that I´m in TVF I don´t need to repeat that in every name underneath. On the other hand with all the doubled pages for the 4 partials it is helpful to have some names that reminds you on what page you are… But as said bevore I think once the preset ist finished everyone will do adjustments on the layout following his own logic (In my job I have to do lots of graphical user interfaces and therefore I know that if you ask 5 people which way is the best and most logical one, you will get 5 different opinions :slight_smile: )

Out of experience; do not shorten the control names as long as you plan to implement Patch parsing.
I will on purpose put too much info into a control name as to limit the amount of candidates I must select from (based on their names) when assigning a patch dump byte to one of them.

Once the parsing is done (or it is decided no parsing is to happen), then I clean my control names .

just my 50 cents

ps curious to see where you’ll end

2 Likes

I put my work in progress online, maybe it can be useful for you… By the way it is really fun to experiment (in my case on the very first level…) and see and learn by finding out how others did certain things. Really appreciate it!!

1 Like

Hi there

So I just installed the new D-50 preset and it is great; however, wondering if anyone could let me know how to set up the patch request? The Bread and butter online editor has a patch request that works really well and I recorded it with sysex librarian. I have included the midi string below.

00 F0 41 05 14 11 00 03 00 00 00 28 55 F7 | A (U |

MD5 checksum: c9ee7f5bca7ab372a72ef6268f361d8d
SHA-1 checksum: ec02a63376c1fed0e40c0ef9044abeb3ac9d134e

@antsnow ,
in order to guide you:

• have you got the sysex implementation data for the D-50 in your possession?
  • do you have some form of MIDI monitoring (like MIDI-Ox) with which you can see what the D-50 and what the E1 is sending?
  • can you make the D-50 send out SysEx data that according to you is consistent with the D-50 sysex implementation data?
  • force a dump of one patch out of the D50: is the total SysEx that is sent smaller than 256 bytes?

Once you can say yes to the questions above, we’ll take it from there.

2 Likes